Harbour. TRIESTE. 32. Route. 209
158,648), lies at the N.E. end of the Adriatic. It was made a free
port by Emp. Charles VI. in 1719, but since 1891 only the harbour
proper is outside the customs limit. About 14,000 vessels, in¬
cluding 6000 steamers, of an aggregate burden of 2i/4 million tons,
enter and clear the harbour annually. The annual value of the
imports is about 145, that of the exports 117 million florins. In
the heterogeneous population the Italian element predominates;
about one-sixth of the inhabitants are Slavs, and there are only
about 5000 Germans.
The business of the town centres in the Harbour, which has
been greatly enlarged and improved of late years at a cost of 15
million florins. From the New Harbour near the railway-station,
which is sheltered by a huge breakwater, the Old Roads, with
several moles, stretch southwards to the Molo S. Teresa (PI. A, 5, 6),
on which stands a, Lighthouse (Fanale Marittimo), 108 ft. high. On
the Riva dei Pescatori, to the N., is the Health Office (Sanita; PI.
B, 5). Adjacent, on the Piazza Grande (see below), are the hand¬
some new offices, built by Ferstel, of the 'Austrian Lloyd', a steam¬
boat-company established in 1833. Farther N., between the Molo
del Sale and the busy Molo S. Carlo, is the mouth of the Canal
Grande (PL C, 4; 366 yds. long, 56 ft. deep), which penetrates
into the new town or Theresienstadt and is always filled with
shipping. At the E. end of the canal rises the church of S. An¬
tonio Nuovo (PL 4), erected by Nobile in 1830 in the Greek style.
On the Riva Carciotti, to the S. of the Canal Grande, are the
Palazzo Carciotti, with its green dome, and the Greek Church (S. Nic¬
colo dei Greci, PL 6, C 4), sumptuously fitted up. A few paces from
the harbour, opposite the Teatro Comunale, is the Tergesteo (PI.
C, 4), an extensive block of buildings, containing a cruciform ar¬
cade roofed with glass, which is used as an Exchange.
Near the Tergesteo are the two busiest squares in Trieste, the
Piazza della Boksa and the Piazza Gbande. The Piazza della
Borsa (PI. C, 4), with the handsome Old Exchange (now the Chamber
of Commerce), is embellished with a Group of Neptune, in marble,
and a Statue of Leopold I., erected in 1660. In the Piazza Grande
(PL 0, 4) are the new Municipio, the Maria Theresa Fountain,
erected in 1751, and a Statue of Emp. Charles VI.
The Conso (PI. C, D, 4), the principal street of Trieste, which
leads to the E. from the Piazza della Borsa, separates the New Town,
with its broad and handsome streets, from the Old Town. The latter,
nestling round the castle-hill, consists of narrow, steep streets,
some of which are inaccessible to carriages.
On the way from the Piazza Grande to the cathedral, to the
left, is situated the Jesuits' Church (S. Maria Maggiore; PI. 5,
C 6), containing a large modern fresco by Sante. To the W., a
few paces higher up, is the Piazzetta di Riccardo, named after
Richard Coeur de Lion, who is said to have been imprisoned here