206 Route 31. TARVIS. From Bruck
hab., was the capital of Carinthia down to 1619. A fountain-basin
of white marble in the market-place, 30 ft. in diameter, excavated
in the Zollfeld, is said to be Roman. The Rathhaus contains some
interesting reliefs. The Gothic church dates from the 15th century.
The line follows the marshy valley of the Glan. 1011/2 M. Feistritz-
Pulst. To the right, high up, rises the ruin of Liebenfels, to the left
the ruined castle of Karlsberg. — 105 M. Glanegg, with another old
castle. The valley contracts, but beyond (112 M.) Feldkirchen (9 M.
to the N.W. of which are the baths of St. Leonhard), becomes broad
and marshy. The line approaches the Ossiacher See (1600 ft.), a lake
6 M. in length. — Opposite (119 M.) Ossiach is the village of that
name, with an old monastery. 123 M. Sattendorf (*Gerlitzenhaus;
*Pens. Julienhcihe), frequented as a summer-resort. From (ll^/iM.)
Annenheim steam-launches ply to the "Cur-Hotel Annenheim, on the
S. bank of the lake. On a mountain-spur at the S.W. end of the lake
stands the ruin of Landskron (p. 202).
1271/2 M. Villach, junction of the Franzensfeste and Marburg
line (Sudbahn), see p. 202 and R. 22.
Skirting the town, the train runs towards the S. and crosses the
Drave by a handsome iron bridge. On the right is the Dobratsch
(p. 202). — 130 M. Bad Villach (p. 202). Crossing the Gail, we
next reach (1331/2 M.) Fiirnitz, opposite Federaun, with its lofty
shot-tower. — 13872 M. Arnoldstein.
From Arnoldstein to Hermagor, 19]/2 M., railway in i'/a hr., through
the smiling Gailthal with its numerous villages, via Nolsch, St. Stefan,
and Gortschach-FBrolach. — I91/2 M. Hermagor (2010 ft.; "Post; Fleiss, etc.) is
a charmingly situated little town at the mouth of the Gitsch-Thal, through
which a diligence plies daily in 4 hrs. to (20 M.) Kotschach (2325 ft.; Rizzi;
Post), the beautifully situated capital of the upper Gailthal, frequented as
a summer-resort. From Kotschach a road leads to the N. over the Gail-
berg-Sattel (3180 ft.) to (9'/2 M.) Ober-Drauburg (p. 173); and a route to the
S. leads via the Pliiken-Alpe (4125 ft.; "Inn) and the Plbken Pass (4500 ft.)
to (9 hrs.) Tolmezzo and (2 hrs.) Stazione per la Carnia (p. 207).
141 M. Thbrl-Maglem. The line runs high up on the left side
of the deep valley of the Gailitz, threads two tunnels, and reaches
(144 M.) Tarvis, the junction of the Laibach Railway (see R. 30).
Tarvis (2410 ft.; "Railway Hotel <y Restaurant), a large and
finely-situated village and summer-resort (3230 inhab.), consists of
Unter-Tarvh (Teppan), in the valley, '/o M. from the station, and
obrr-Tarvis (*Hotel Schnable^er; *Gelbfus, with garden and fine
view), on the hillside, 3,4 M. farther off.
From Tarvis to "Raibl (Vf- hrs ) and to the (4 hrs.) Prcdil (carr. 4 fl.),
seep. 213; to the 'Weissenfels Lakes (one-horse carr. 2 fl.), see p. 203.
The train runs to the W. to (147 M.) Ober-Tarvis, and ascends
(with the Luschariberg on the left, and the Mangart behind) to (161M.)
Saifnitz (2615 ft,; Post), on the watershed between the Black Sea
and the Adriatic.
The "Luschariberg or Heilige Berg (6880 ft.), the most frequented pil¬
grimage-resort in Carinthia, is generally ascended from Saifnitz (2V2 hrs.;
horse 4 fl.). On the top are the church and an inn. Extensive "View.