LAUNSDORF. 31. Route. 205
The train quits the Murthal at (58 M.) Scheifling (to the right, the
chateau of Schrattenberg) and ascends to (63 M.) St. Lamlrecht, on
the watershed between the Drave and the Mur.— 66 M. Neumarkt;
the village, 1 M. to the E., attracts summer-visitors. We next enter
a narrow defile in which the Olsa forms a series of small cascades.
On the right, near (711/2 M.) the station of Einbd, are the baths of
that name (warm alkaline water, a cure for gout). The castle of
Diirnstein, the traditional prison of Richard Cceur-de-Lion (comp.
p. 91), situated on the frontier of Styria and Carinthia, guards the
entrance to the Olsa-Thal.
76i/2M. Friesach (2090 ft,; "Primig, or Post; Czechner; Bauer),
an old town (2575 inhab.), still surrounded with walls and moats, and
commanded by the ruined castles of Geiersburg, Lavant, and Peters-
berg, and the remains of the provostry of Virgilienberg, is pictur¬
esquely situated on the right bank of the Metnitz, and is much
frequented in summer. Gothic Parish Church of the 15th century.
The octagonal fountain in the market was erected in 1563. A large
portion of the town was burned in 1895.
791/2 M. Hirt. At the influx of the Metnitz into the Gurk, I1/2 M-
to the S., lies Zivischenwassem, with Schloss Bockstein, the summer-
residence of the Bishop of Gurk. To the E. is the long crest of the
Saualpe (see p. 200); to the S. rise the Karawanken. At (83 M.)
Treibach are extensive iron-works.
92 M. Launsdorf ("Rail. Restaurant). The most interesting of
the old ancestral castles of the Carinthian nobles which abound in
this district is '-'"Hoch-Osterwitz, 2 M. to the S.W. of stat. Launsdorf,
the seat of the Khevenhiiller family since 1571. This imposing and
well-preserved stronghold, on a rock 500 ft. in height, is reached by
a winding path hewn in the rock, passing through fourteen turreted
gateways, and crossing three drawbridges. The chapel, with its
numerous monuments, and the armoury are in good preservation.
Fine view from the balcony and the bastions.
From Launsdorf to Hottenberg, I8V2M., railway in I1/2 hr. The
train traverses the GSrtschitz-Thal, the principal seat of the Carinthian
iron-industry. Stations: Briickl, Eberstein, Mosel, and (18'/2 31.) Hiittenberg
(2530 ft.; Sacherer; Krone, etc.), the chief village in the Gbrtschitz-Thal
(2600 inhab.), at the base of the Erzberg, which yields a large proportion
of the iron of Carinthia.
The train now turns to the W. and enters the valley of the
Glan. — 95l/2 M. Glandorf (1530 it.; '-Rail. Restaurant).
From Glandorf to Klagenfurt (11 M.), railway in 40 min., traversing
the Zollfeld an extensive and at places marshy plain, where many Roman
coins and other antiquities haveteen found To the left just before (3 31.)
Willersdorf is the handsome chateau of Stadelhof. To the left of (31/2 31.)
Zollfeld is 'the chateau of Tiiltschaeh, probably erected on the site of the
Roman station Virunum; to the right, on a hill, on the opposite bank of
the nan rises the castle of Tanzenberg. 51/2 M. Maria-Saal, with a pil-
mimarip church Between these two stations, near the road, is the ancient
giimage-cuu ded by an jron rajijng) on whicli the dukes of Carinthia
took the oath of fidelity to their subjects. - 11 31. Klagenfurt, see p. 201.
•97M St.Veit ("Rossi; "Stern), an ancient town with 4000 in-