to Villach. KLAGENFURT. 29. Route. 201
Beyond Kuhnsdorf the train crosses the Drave, on the opposite
bank of which are the chateau of Neudenstein and the provostry of"
Teinach, below the mouth of the Gurk. To the S., a fine view of the
Obir and the Koschuta. — 72 M. Grafenstein (1370 ft.), with a
chateau of Prince Rosenberg. The train next crosses the Gurk and
the Glan. On the left, Ebenthal, a chateau of Count Goe'ss; on the
right, Prince Rosenberg's turreted chateau of Welzenegg.
79 M. Klagenfurt (1460 ft.; "Kaiser von Oesterreich, Heu-Platz ;
"KarntnerHof, Cardinals-Platz; "Grimmer; "Moser; *Sandivirth,with
garden; Lamm; Bar; Cafe's Madner, Dorrer, Schiberth), the capital
of Carinthia, with 20,100 inhab., is charmingly situated on the Glan,
which is connected with the Wbrther See (see below) by the Lend Canal,
3 M. in length. The fortifications, destroyed by the French in 1809J
have been converted into a Ring-Strasse. The Museum Rudolflnum
is situated in the latter, near the station. The first story contains the
Museum of Natural History (Sun. 10-12, Wed. 2-5, free; other days
9-12, 20 kr.); in the second story are the collections of the Carinthian
Historical Society (Sun. 10-12, free; other days, 9-1, 30 kr., 3-4,
50 kr.), including Roman and prehistoric antiquities, mediaeval and
modern works of art, a library, and the provincial archives. Near the
museum, to the right, is the School of Agriculture and Mining, with
a bronze bust of the Emperor Joseph II. The principal hall of the
Landhaus, or House of the Estates, built in the 16th cent, by the
Estates, who were at that time Protestant, is adorned with the arms
of Carinthian nobles and contains the ancient stone on which the
dukes of Carinthia sat to receive the homage of their vassals. In the
principal square is a fountain with a huge dragon of chlorite slate,
placed here in 1590. Adjacent is a bronze Statue of Maria Theresa,
designed by Ponninger and erected in 1872. Herbert's White Lead
Manufactury here is the largest in Austria. The gallery (164 ft.) of
the tower of the parish-church commands a fine *Panorama of the
environs (20 kr.). The "'Franz-Josefs-Anlagen on the Kreuzberg, '/-'hr-
to the W. of the town, contain a tower (82 ft.) commanding a beau¬
tiful view of the entire chain of the Karawanken Alps, etc. ^Restau¬
rant). Pleasant lake-baths in the Worther-See (steamboat, see below;
also tramway to the Military Swimming Baths).
Railway to Glandorf, see p. 205. From Klagenfurt a road leads to the
S. over the Loibl (4495 ft.) to (36 M.) Krainburg (p. 202). In the Feistritz.-
Thal on the S side of the Karawanken chain, is the considerable village
of Neumarktl (Post), 3 hrs. from Krainburg.
At the station of Klagenfurt-Lend the train crosses the Lend
Canal. To the left is the old abbey of Viktring, now a cloth-factory.
At the (82 M.) Military Swimming Baths (*Hotel; tramway to Klagen¬
furt every hour, 10 kr.) the train reaches the bank of the pretty
Worther See (1440 ft.), or Lake of Klagenfurt, 11 M. long, the N.
side of which it skirts. (Steamboat on the Worther See, a pleasant
break in the railway-journey, several times daily to Velden and
back) To the left, on a promontory, is the chateau of Maria-Lorelto,