1 94 Route 28. MARBURG. From Gratz
century. On the opposite bank of the Mur is (21 M.) Ober-Radkersburg, with
the loftily situated chateau of Count Wurmbrand (870 ft.). — 24>/j M. Radein
(656 ft.; 'Curhaus, R. from 50 kr.), with a famous mineral spring. Beautiful
walk to 0/s hr.) Kapellen (1004 ft.), with a fine view towards Hungary. —
Thence the train runs via Eich-Mauthdorf, Wudischofzen, and Kreuzdorf to
(351/2 M.) Luttenberg, on the Stainzbach, noted for its wine.
The line now enters the Windisch-Biiheln, the hills between
the Mur and the Drave, penetrating the watershed by the Egidi
Tunnel (200 yds.). Near (36 M.) Pbssnitz it crosses the Possnitz-
Thal by a viaduct 700 yds. in length, pierces the Posruck by means
of the Leitersberg Tunnel (725 yds.), and descends to —
4OI/2 M. Marburg (880 ft.; "Stadt Meran; Stadt Wien; "Er:-
herzog Johann;*Mohr; Traube; "Restaurant in the Casino ; Rail.
Restaurant), the second town in Styria, with 20,000 inhab., pictur¬
esquely situated on the left bank of the Drau, at the base of the
Posruck. The Tappeiner-Platz in front of the Commercial School is
embellished with a statue of Admiral Tegetthoff (1827-1871), a na¬
tive of Marburg. Adjacent is the Stadt-Park, with monuments to
the Emperor Joseph and the Archduke John. Marburg is the centre
of the Styrian fruit and wine cultivation and contains tbe provincial
pomological school. In the suburb of St. Magdalena, on the right
bank, are the extensive workshops of the 'Siidbahri.
The (20 min.) Calvarienberg and the (1/2 hr.) Pyramidenberg afford a
fine survey of the town and environs. — Pleasant excursion to (2 hrs)
St. Urban (1950 ft.), a pilgrimage-church on the E. spur of the Posruck,
with an extensive view (driving is practicable as far as the foot of the
mountain, the ascent of which is easily accomplished in 3/4 hr.).
From Marburg 10 Villach and Franzensfeste, see RR. 29, 22.
The train crosses the Drave by a long bridge (picturesque view
of the town and the Drave Valley to the right). A broad plain is
now traversed; to the right, the slopes of the Bacher-Gebirge.
48i/2 M. Kranichsfeld; 52i/2 M. Pragerhof (Buffet), the junction
for Kanizsa and Budapest (see R. 74).
The train enters a hilly district and passes through two tun¬
nels. 56 M. Windisch-Feistritz. — 60'/.2 M. Poltschach (Baumann,
near the station; "Post, in the village), at the base of the Wotsch
Post-omnibus daily by (9V2 M.) the Baths of Rohitsch, or Sauerbrunn-
Rohitsch, a favourite watering-place, and (14 M. in 3 hrs.) Markt-Rohitsch, to
(26 M. in 6 hrs.) Krapina-Teplitz (p. 386). The conical Donatiberg (2900 ft.)
is a favourite point of view (272 hrs. from Markt-Rohitsch); near the top
is the FrSlich-Hiitle (2535 ft.).
German is now replaced by a Slavonic orWendish dialect. The
train winds through a sparsely-peopled district, intersected by
narrow valleys, and richly wooded. Several small stations and
foundries are passed. At length an extensive view of the Sannthal,
a hilly, populous, and undulating plain, bounded by the Sannthal
Alps, is suddenly disclosed.
821/2 M. Cilli (790ft. ; "Erzherzog Johann; "Stadt Wien; Ele¬
phant; Krone; Lowe), a pleasant old town on the <Sann (6264 in¬
hab.), founded by Emp. Claudius (Claudia Celeja), attracts visitors