Landhaus. GRATZ. 27. Route. 191
The Landhaus (PL D, 5), or Hall of the Estates, in the Herren¬
gasse, the busiest street in the town, with the best shops, was
erected in the Renaissance style in the 16th century. Interesting
portal with two balconies, to the right of which is a curious painted
notice of 1588, cautioning those who enter against quarrelling or
'drawing their daggers or bread-knives'.
The first court, with the arcades (new cloister of 1890) and a finely-
executed fountain, in cast and wrought iron of 1590, is particularly pleas¬
ing. Memorial tablet to Johann Kepler, the astronomer. The Riltersaal
and Landtags-Saal ('Hall of the Diet') may be inspected.
The old "Landes-Zeughaus, or Arsenal (erected in 1644), adjoining the
Landhaus on the S., is maintained in exactly the same condition as it was
250 years ago, with a large quantity of weapons, chiefly of the 17th cent¬
ury. (Admission from the Landhaus daily 10-1, 30 kr.; Sun. free).
The Haupt-Platz (PL C, D, 6) is embellished with a bronze
*Statue of Archduke John (d. 1869), by Pbnninger, erected in
1878. On the S. side of the Platz is the new *Rathhaus (PL 10), a
handsome German Renaissance building erected in 1892 by Wiele-
mann and Reuter. The facade is adorned with the busts and statues
of men of importance in the history of the town. The staircase is
decorated with a fresco by Scholz, representing Gratz in 1635. The
Council Room contains a Court Scene of 1478, by N. Strobel.
The Joanneum(Pl. D, 6) was founded in 1811 by Archduke John.
The Old Joannbum (Raubergasse 10) contains the Natural History
Museum (geological, zoological, and botanical collections), the Pre¬
historic Collection (containing the 'Judenburger Wagen'), and the
Cabinet of Coins and Antiquities (daily, 10-11, 20 kr.; Sun. free).
The Library (over 140,000 vols.) is accommodated in a modern ad¬
dition, which has reading-rooms on the groundfioor and an exhibition
of rare books, etc., on the first floor (adm. 10-1, from May 1st to July
15th also 4-7; in winter 10-1 and 4-9).
The new Museum Buildings, a huge pile in the rococo style
from the plans of Gunolt, opened in 1895, contain the Historical
and Industrial Art Museum and the Collection of Paintings and
Engravings. Admission: Sun., 10-1, free; Tues., Wed., Frid., & Sat,,
9-1, 25 kr.; Thurs., 10-2, 50 kr.
The valuable collections of the Historical and Industrial Museum (Di¬
rector, Prof. K. Lacher; catalogue 20 kr.) occupy three stories and are
arranged in the following divisions: Dwelling-rooms from Styria; industrial
and art-industrial works; ecclesiastical art and art-industries; historical
portraits and relics ; collection of samples of art-industrial works and a
collection of models, with a drawing room. Specially interesting are the
"Landschadenbund-Bccher, a masterpiece of the goldsmith's art in the 16th
cent.; the *iWeizer Prunksaal' of 1563, and the old Styrian rooms of 1564,
1568, 1577, 1596, and 1607; the travelling-carriage of Emp. Frederick III.,
and the double litter of Stephan Bathory and his wife. Finally there is
a room for the sale of modern Styrian art-industrial products.
The Collection of Paintings and Engravings is arranged in four rooms
on the first floor. Among the works of the early German school are: Cra¬
nach, Knight at the parting of the ways; B. Strigel, Emp. Maximilian ;
H. Memling, Mary of Burgundy. Dutch masters: Portraits by G. de Grayer
and M. de Vos; P. Brueghel, Triumph of Death; H. Goltzius, Ecce Homo.
Italian masters: G. Vasari, Michael Angelo; L. Giordano, Adoration of tha