190 Route 27. GRATZ. Cathedral.
(restaurant), halfway up the E. side, is adorned with a Statue of
General Welden(A. 1853), the originator of the promenades, in bronze.
On the S. slope are a quaint Clock-Tower (62 ft. high), bearing a
gigantic clock-dial, and the -Tiirfcen-Brunnen (300 ft. deep). On the
upper platform are a Belfry, 60 ft. high, and four topographical in¬
dicators. The noble *View is justly celebrated. The course of the
Mur and the populous valley, surrounded by mountains of beautiful
form, present a most picturesque scene. To the N. rises the Schockel,
N.W. the Alps of Upper Styria, S.W. the Koralpe, S. theBacher Mt>.
A Cable-Tramway, starting every 74 hr., ascends the Schlossberg in 3 min.
from No. 56 Sack-Strasse (PI. C, 4); fares, up 20, down 10 kr., monthly
ticket 2 fl. The line is 230 yds. long, has a double track with a toothed rail
as an additional precaution, and ascends at a gradient of 60:100. Beside
the engine-house at the top (360 ft. above the street) is a Cafi-Restaurant,
with view-terrace. — Foot Passengers ascend (20 min.) on the E. side,
from the Carmeliter-Plat/. (PI. D, 4): the road passes through an archway
under the house No. 1 Paulusthorgasse (with the inscription 'Am Fuss
des Schlossbergs'), and passes the Clock-Tower and the Turken-Brunnen
(see above). On the N. side the hill is ascended from the Wickenburg-
gasse (PI. C, 3).
The Cathedral (PI. 6; D, 4, 5), a Gothic structure of 1446-1462
(the copper roof of the tower added in 1663), has been extensively
modernized. It has an interesting W. Portal.
Interior. The high-altar-piece in the choir, representing the Miracles
of St. .SJgidius, is by Jos. Flurer. On the walls are two votive paintings
by Peter de Pomis, representing the Archduke Charles II. with his family
before the crucifix and the Virgin. To the right and left of the approach
to the choir are marble pedestals supporting two ebony reliquaries, brought
from Italy in, 1617. The six small ivory "Reliefs, choice Italian works of
the 16th cent., represent the triumphs of Love, Innocence, Death, etc, (from
Petrarch's 'I Trionfi'). m
The Mausoleum (PI. 8), adjoining the cathedral; was built by Emp.
Ferdinand II. (d. 163?), who sought refuge in Gratz at the outbreak of
the Thirty Years' War. The vault contains his tomb and the sarcophagi
of his parents, Archduke Charles II. (d. 1590) and his Archduchess.
Opposite are the extensive buildings of the Old University (PI. 12),
occupied by the Jesuits until 1773, and containing the University
Library (120,000 vols.) and the Archaeological and Numismatic Col¬
lections. The new University Buildings, built by Rezori (1894), are
in the Harrachgasse (PI. E, 3). — The Technical College (PI. E, 5)
is an imposing Renaissance edifice (1888) in the Rechbauer-Strasse.
In the Franzens-Platz (PI. D, 4), in front of the Theatre of that
name (PI. 11), is a bronze Statue of Emperor Francis II. (PL 2), in
the robes of the Golden Fleece, by Marchesi (1841).
The Parish Church (PI. D, 5) in the Herrengasse, a late-Gothic
edifice of the 15th cent, (restored in 1875), contains an Assumption
by Tintoretto as an altar-piece. — The Marien-Kirche (PL A, 4), in
the Mariengasse, is an elegant modern Gothic church (1865). The
Leech-Kirche (PL E, 4), a small but interesting Gothic church, is said
to have been built in 1283 for the Teutonic Order. — The Herz-
Jesu-Kirche (PI. F, 6), in the Naglergasse, with a lower church (crypt)
and a tower 360 ft. in height, is another modern Gothic building.