GRATZ. 27. Route. 189
Theatres. Theater am Franzens-Platz (PL 11; D, 4), operas, operettas,
plays (closed June-Aug.); Theater am Stadt-Park (PI. D, 5), operettas, etc.
Military Music twice a week in summer, alternately in the Stadt-Park
and at the Hilmteich (p. 192); once a week on the Schlossberg and in the
Volks-Garten; also in the Industrie-Halle, Jakominigasse (PI. D, 7), with a
large park and racecourse; and at the above-mentioned Bierhallen. — Band
also 3-4 times weekly in the Stadt-Park (see below).
Post & Telegraph Office and Telephone Office (PI. 9; C, 5), Neuthorgasse.
Cabs. Two-horse, 60 kr. for the first 1/2 hr., 1 fl. for 1 hr., 50 kr. for
each additional 1/2 hr.; one-horse, 30 kr. for the first 1/4 hr., 50 kr. for the
first 1/2 hr., 80 kr. for i hr., 20 kr. for each additional '/j hr. — To or from
the Siid-Bahnhof: middle of the town, one-horse 70 kr., two-horse 1 fl.; Mur
suburb (right bank) 50 or 80 kr. Small articles of luggage carried inside,
free; larger articles, 20 kr. for one or more. At night (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.)
fares in all cases one-half more. — For half-a-day, for drives within a
radius of 5 M., forenoon 272 fl. or 3 fl., afternoon 3 fl. or 4 fl.; whole day
51/2 or 7 fl., etc.
Tramway (10 kr. per drive) from the Siid-Bahnhof through the Annen-
Str. and over the Franz-Carl Bridge to the Haupt-Platz; then through the
Herrengasse to the Jakomini-Platz, and thence to the right to the Staats-
bahnhof, and to the left along the Glacis-Strasse to the Geidorf-Platz,
and via the Wickenburggasse, the Ferdinands-Briicke, the Lend-Platz, and
the Volksgarten-Str. back to the Anna-Str. A branch to the right from
the Glacis-Str. runs through the Leonhard-Str. to the Hilmteich.
Omnibuses ply to every part of the environs. To Eggenberg (p. 192),
10 times daily (hourly on Sundays and holidays), starting from the Fisch-
markt (15 kr.); to Mariatrosl (p. 192) via, Hilmteich, 4 times daily (20 kr.),
starting from the Burg-Thor; to the Briindl (p. 192), twice daily (20 kr.),
starting from the Fischmarkt; to the Andritz-Ursprung (p. 192), 4 times
daily (15 kr.), starting from the Ursuliner-Platz.
Gratz (1135 ft.), the capital of Styria, with about 113,000 inhab.
and a garrison of 4500 men, picturesquely situated on both banks of
the Mur, which is crossed by seven bridges, is one of the pleasantest
and healthiest of the Austrian provincial capitals, and is the res¬
idence of many retired civil servants and officers, including nearly
two hundred generals. On the site of the former glacis, between the
inner town and the outlying suburbs, is the *Stadt-Park (30 acres),
charmingly laid out in the English style, and adorned with a Bust of
Schiller by Gasser, the ' Waldlilie'1 (a bronze figure by Brandstetter,
illustrating a poem by Rosegger), a marble statue of Count Anton
Al. Auersperg, the poet (d. 1876), by Kundmann, and the handsome
bronze "Franz-Josefs-Brunnen, by Durenne of Paris. Near the last
are the Cafe Wirth and a Band-Stand (concerts, see above).
The chief thoroughfare between the centre of the town and the
right bank of the Mur is the Franz Carl Bridge (PI. C, 5), built in
1891, with bronze figures of Austria and Styria, by Brandstetter, on
the central buttresses, handsome candelabra surmounted by eagles,
and a tasteful balustrade.
The *Schlossberg (PL C, D, 3, 4; 1545 ft.) towers above the
town. The fortifications, constructed in the 15th cent, to protect the
town against the Turks, were blown up by the French in 1809 in
consequence of the armistice, after they had been successfully defend¬
ed for four weeks by a garrison of 500 Austrians against 3000
French under General Macdonald. The plateau in front of the chalet