186 Route 26. EISENERZ. From Linz
(1700 ft.; "Hubner zur Post; *8teinberger), with iron-works, is finely
situated at the confluence of the Erzbach and the Enns.
From Hieflau to Leoben, 34 M., railway in 372-4 hrs. Beyond (2l/2 M.)
Radmer, on a height to the left, stands the chateau of Leopoldstein. — 91/* M.
Eisenerz (2445 ft.; Kbnig von Sachsen; Schardinger it Mosshammer, R. 60-
80 kr. ; Moser; Rudolfsbahn, near the station), with 5720 inhab., an old
mining-town, as its name ('iron-ore') imports, is commanded on the E. bv
the abrupt Pfaffenstein (6140 ft,), and on the W. by the Kaisersehild (6830 ft).
The Church of St. Oswald, a Gothic structure founded in 1279 and rebuilt
in 1471-1512, is an interesting example of a mediaeval fortified church.
By the approach to the church is an interesting Historical Museum (adm.
10 kr.). The terrace in front of the Schicht-Thurm commands a fine view
(direction-tablet). To the S. the red Erzberg (5030 ft.) closes the valley.
This 'ore-mountain' is so productive that the ore is quarried in summer
without the aid of mining operations. In winter, however, the subterranean
mode of excavation is more convenient. The greater part of the mountain
belongs to the Alpine Montan-Gesellschaft, The mines, some of which
have been in operation for 1000 years, employ 2000-3000 hands in summer
and 1000-1500 in winter and yield 150,000 tons of iron annually. The best
plan for visitors is to take the Erzberg railway to the station of Prebichl
(see below), and thence to follow the carriage-road (fine views) to the
(1 hr.) Berghaus (Restaurant). Thence (with guide, 50 kr.) descend over the
terraces of the mine to the O/2 hr.) Barbara-Kapelle and to (V2 hr.) Eisenerz
The "Erzberg Railway, interesting both from its bold engineering and
from the beautiful views it commands (best to the left), was constructed
mainly for the mineral traffic, on Abt's cogged-wheel system. With an
average gradient of 68:1000 it runs to the S., through the Sch'cht-Thvrm
Tunnel (below the above-mentioned tower) to the station of Krumpenthal
(2365 ft.), where the toothed rails begin. The gradient now becomes steeper.
The train threads the Klammwald Tunnel, traverses lofty viaducts and wide
curves, crossing tbe Ramsau and the Erzgraben, and stops at (1372 M.) Erz¬
berg (3510 ft,; Restaurant), above the mining terraces (see above). Beyond
the Flatten Tunnel and the Prebichl Tunnel is the station of (16'/2 M.) Prebichl
(3950 ft.; "Spitaler's Inn). The line now descends to (18 M.) Glaslbremsc
(3420 ft.) and (20»/2 M.) Vordernberg-Markt (2660 ft.; "Post; Wieser; "Zelinka;
Kettler), a prosperous place with a brisk trade in iron. — 2IV2 M. Vordern-
berg-Stautsbahnhof (2520 ft.; Rail. Restaurant); passengers for Leoben change
carriages here. The train now runs via Friedauwerk and Hafning to (27'/2 M)
Trofajach (2160 ft.; "Brciuhaus; "Thunhart; Zum Ochsen, R. 50 kr.), a fre¬
quented summer-resort in a fine situation. Good view from the (3/4 hr.)
Rudolfswarte (2920 ft.). — Thence the line proceeds via Gmeingrub, St. Peter-
Freyenstein, and Donawitz to (34 M.) Leoben (p. 204).
The Ennsthal now turns towards the W., and we enter the *Oe-
sause, a profound defile, 12 M. in length, flanked by the Tamisch-
bachihurm and the Grosse Bucltstein on the N., and the Hochthor and
fieic/ienstem on the S., and traversed by the Enns, which forms a
series of wild rapids (from Admont to Hieflau fall of 400 ft.). The
road, which runs on the left bank, well repays the pedestrian as far
as Admont (carriage and pair from Hieflau to the end of the Ge¬
sause 12 fl.). The railway on the right bank pierces two tunnels,
between which, on the left, opens the Hartlesgraben, and then crosses
to the left bank of the Enns. — 84i/2 M. Gstatterboden (1850 ft.;
♦Hotel Gesause), in a grand situation. The railway next passes the
mouth of the picturesque Johnsbach-Thal, on the left, and then the
wild gorge of the Burggraben, on the right, and crosses the Enns.
Beyond a short tunnel is the (891/2 M.) station Gesause-Eingany.
The train then enters the broad green dale of —