JUDENDORF. 24. Route. 1"81
the ruin of Landskron, burned down in 1792. To St. Michael and
Linz, see R. 26; to Mariazell, see R. 25; to Villach, see R. 31.
The train enters the narrow valley of the Mur. At (113 M.) Per-
negg (Linde) is a large chateau of Herr Lipith. Near (114 M.)
Mixnitz (Schartner) is an extensive stalactite cavern, called the
Drachenhbhle, in the Rothelstein, 1533 ft. above the village. 122 M.
Frohnleiten, with forges and a hydropathic, lies on the opposite
bank. To the right is Schloss Neu-Pfannberg or Grafendorf, and
on a hill to the left are the ruins of the castle of Pfannberg. The
chateau of Rabenstein rises on a rock on the right bank. The valley
contracts to a narrow defile, through which the line is carried along
the Badelwand by a gallery of 35 arches (400 yds. long). At (127M.)
Peggau the Schbckel (p. 192) is seen to the left. Opposite, at the
mouth of the Uebelbach, lies Feistritz, with lead and zinc mines.
The train now crosses the Mur. 129 M. Stiibing, with a chateau
of Count Palffy; 132 M. Gratwein (1295 ft.; Fischerwirth), with a
large paper-mill. —134 M. Judendorf ("Schreiber; Materleitner) is a
favourite summer-resort with fine woods, numerous villas, and a
hydropathic establishment. On a height to the right lies Maria-
Strassengel, an elegant Gothic pilgrimage-church of 1355, with an
open tower. The train passes the ruin of Gbsting, property of Count
Attems, and enters a fertile basin, where the isolated Schlossberg
of Gratz rises on the left, with the capital of Styria at its base.
140 M. Gratz, see p. 188.
25. From Murzzuschlag to Mariazell and Bruck on
Railway from Murzzuschlag to (71/2 M.) Neuberg in 31 minutes. —
Diligence from Neuberg to Mariazell (29 M.) twice daily in 7hrs. (8V« "•)•
One-horse Caeeiage from Neuberg to Miirzsteg 2, two-horse 3 fl.; two-
horse carr. to Mariazell in 5 hrs., 12-14 fl. — Between Mariazell and See-
wiesen (I8V2M.) Diligence twice daily in summer in 33/4hrs, (fare2fl. 55kr.);
from Seewiesen to Au-Seewiesen (472 M.) twice daily in 1 hr. (50 kr.); from
Au-Seewiesen to (14 M.) Kapfenberg, railway in 1 hr. 35 minutes. — From
Gaming to Mariazell, see p. 183; from St. Pblten, via Lilienfeld and Kernhof,
see pp. 83, 183.
Murzzuschlag, see p. 180. The Neuberg line diverges here to
the right from the main line, crosses the Miirz., and ascends the
wooded valley of that stream, passing several iron-works, to (4i/2 M.)
Kapellen (Hirsch) and (7y2 M.) Neuberg (2400 ft,; "Post; Hirsch;
Stem; Kaiser von Oeslerreich), finely situated at the base of the
Schneealpe (6245 ft.), which may be ascended hence in 31/2-4 hrs.
The handsome Gothic Cistercian Church, with its fourteen slender
octagonal pillars and large rose-window, was consecrated in 1471.
From the well-preserved cloisters, which contain portraits of all the
abbots, we enter the elegant crypt. The abbey, suppressed in 1785,
is partly occupied by the emperor during the shooting-season. A little
to the N, of Neuberg are extensive iron-works of the Alpine Montan-