134 Route 13. INNSBRUCK. Berg Isel.
and reproducing accurately the geological peculiarities of the different
districts (fee to school-attendant who explains it). In the Anich-Str.
rises the Imperial Technical School (PI. 21); more to the S.W. is the
large Municipal Hospital (PI. A, B, 4,5), with the University clinical
institutions. Towards the S.W., in the direction of the Inn; are the
Pathological and the Anatomical Institute (PL A, 5).
In the same quarter lies the well-kept Cemetery, containing handsome
modern monuments by Natter, Gasser, Grissemann, and other Tyrolese
sculptors, and that of A. Colins, the sculptor (p. 131), in the Renaissance
style. In the vestibule of the chapel are frescoes by Franz Plattner, a
pupil of Cornelius (1863-1873), and sculptures by M. Stolz.
About 3/4 M. from the gate, on the Brenner road (p. 146), is the
Premonstratensian abbey of Wilten, the Roman Veldidena. By the
portal of the church to the E. are statues of the giants Haimon and
Thyrsus, the traditional founders of the abbey. The church is sumptu¬
ously decorated with stucco, frescoes, and gilding.
In 3 min. more the road brings us to the "Berg Isel (2065 ft.),
at the foot of which is the station of the steam-tramway (p. 130).
A little farther up are the Bierstindl Restaurant and a notice indicat¬
ing the way to the shooting-range of the Tyrolese Riflemen ('Kaiser-
Jiiger'). The road sweeps to the right and ascends in 10min. to the
park-like plateau (restaurant), in the middle of which rises a *Bronze
Statue of Andreas Hofer, by Natter, erected in 1893. Beyond is the
rifle-range, on the side next the Sillthal. The Pavilion at the N.E.
angle affords a charming survey of the Innthal and the town.
Among the other monuments on the plateau is an obelisk bearing the
inscription: 'Donee erunt montes et saxa et pectora nostra Austriacae domui
moenia semper erunt.' The dates 13th April, 29th May, and 13th August, 1809,
refer to the repeated capture of the town from the Bavarians by the brave
Tyrolese peasants under Andreas Hofer, whose attacks were chiefly directed
against it from the Berg Isel and the hills adjoining it on the E. as far
as Schloss Amras. — The central block is arranged as a museum, and
contains portraits of Hofer, Speckbacher, and Haspinger, trophies, uni¬
forms, etc. (adm. 9-1 ; 20 kr.).
On a spur of the Mittelgebirge, or lower hills, 3 M. to the S.E.
of Innsbruck, stands Schloss Amras, the direct road to which leads
by Pradl. (A shorter footpath leads to the right below the railway-
station and crosses the Sill to the gas-works; here we go towards
the right lor a lew hundred paces, and then follow a field-track to
the left, which leads to the road in 10 min.) The other road, via
Wilten, is longer but pleasanter (steam-tramway, see p. 130). It
passes to the left from the tramway terminus, crosses the Sill, and
then leads straight to the (3/4 hr.) chateau along the base of the hills
(Schlosskeller Restaurant, to the right, near the entrance).
"Schloss Amras or Ambras (2070 ft.), originally erected in the
13th cent., owes its fame chiefly to Archduke Ferdinand, son of
Emp. Ferdinand 1., and husband of Philippina Welser, daughter
of a wealthy patrician of Augsburg, whom he had met at the diet
of Augsburg in 1547 and secretly married in 1557. The archduke,
an enthusiastic lover of art, who became governor of Tvrol in 1563,