Y6'l Route Hi. INNSBRUCK. Museum.
nationalities are faithfully rendered. The reliefs are covered with
glass and enclosed by a railing; those who wish a closer inspection
must pay 50 kr. for admission within the latter.
The steps to the right, at the beginning of the right aisle, lead to the
Silbcrne Kapelle, so called from a silver statue of the Virgin, and embossed
representations in that metal of the'Lauretanian Litany' on the altar. On
the left wall are 23 bronze statuettes of saints, cast at Innsbruck, and
probably once destined for the monument of Maximilian. The tomb of
Archduke Ferdinand II. (d. 1595), executed by Colins during the duke's
lifetime, is adorned with four scenes in relief from the life of the deceased.
The tomb of Philippina Welser of Augsburg (d. 1580), first wife of the
archduke (see p. 134), is embellished with two reliefs by Colins. The old
organ is said to have been a gift of Pope Julius II.
At the entrance to the left aisle is the "Monument of Andreas Ilofer,
in Tyrolese marble, executed by Schaller, with a relief by Klieber. Hofer
was shot in 1810 at Mantua, and in 1823 his remains were brought to
Innsbruck and solmnly interred here. At the sides are the tombs of Speck-
bacher (d. 1820) and Haspinger (d. 1868). Opposite these is a monument
to all the Tyrolese who have fallen in the defence of their country since
1 ("b, with the inscription: 'Absorpta est mors in victoria'.
To the left, on leaving the Franciscan Church, is the imperial
palace, or Hofburg (PL C, 3), erected in the rococo style in 1766-70.
Visitors are admitted 10-12 and 2-4; the Riesensaal (with portraits)
and the Chapel are worth seeing.
Opposite the Burg are the Stadtscile (PI. 19; Restaurant, see
p. 130; picture-exhibition, on the first floor) and the Theatre (PI.
(7, 3). In the Rennweg, in front of the Stadtsale, rises the Leopolds-
brunnen, erected by the town of Innsbruck in 1893, with a small
equestrian statue of Archduke Leopold V. and other bronze figures
by C. Gras (1626). — To the N. is the well-kept Hofgarten (Re¬
staurant). Farther to the N.E., in the quarter between the railway
and the Inn, is the large new Orphanage (PI. E, 1, 2), founded by
J. von Sieberer, with a fine chapel. The sculptures on the facade
are by Baumgartner.
Next the Hofkirche, in the Universitats-Strasse, is the University
(PL C, D, 3), founded by Emp. Leopold in 1672 and restored in
1826. A medical faculty was added in 1869. It is attended by about
1000 students and possesses the usual collections. The Jesuiten-
kirche or University Church (PI. 9), erected in 1627-40 in the baroque
style, is crowned with a dome 200 ft. high. Adjoining is the Univer¬
sity Library (PI. 25), a collection of 140,000 vols, (open 8-1 and
3-5). — The adjacent Botanic Garden (PL C, D, 3) contains upwards
of 600 species of Alpine plants with the different kinds of rock on
which they grow, arranged, orographically.
Near this point, in the Musetims-Str., rises the handsome Re¬
naissance building of the TFerdinandeum or Tyrolese National Mu¬
seum (PI. C, D, 3). Begun in 1842, it received its upper story in
1884-86 (open daily, except Sun. afternoon, in summer 9-5, in
winter 10-3; admission 5(1, short guide 10, catalogue of pictures
16 kr.). The facade is adorned with busts of twenty-two eminent
natives of Tyrol.