OXFORD. 30. Route. 237
among the finest in Oxford. The Library contains several relics of
Abp. Laud, including the skull-cap in which he was executed ;
also some line MSS. and early printed works. Among eminent
members of St. John's are Abp. Juxon, Dean Mansel, and the poet
Shirley. — Beyond St. John's the road forks, the right branch,
St. Giles St., leading past St. Giles's Church (PI. 6; C, 1), built
about the year 1200, to Norham Gardens (right) , with Lady Mar¬
garet's Hall (p. 238). The left branch, St. Giles Road, leads to the
Roman Catholic Church of St. Aloysius, Somerville Hall (p. 238),
and the Radcliffe Infirmary (PL 35; C, 1) and Radcliffe Observatory,
both built at the end of last century with funds bequeathed by Dr.
Radcliffe (comp. p. 229).
Beyond the observatory we turn to the W. into Observatory
Street, from which 5Valton Street diverges to the left. In the latter
stands the University Press (PL 44; B, 1), built in 1830. Farther
on in the same street, opposite the end of Beaumont St., is Wor¬
cester College (PI. 30; B, 2), erected in 1714 on the site of the
Benedictine foundation of Gloucester College (1283; afterwards
Gloucester Hall). The chapel presents one of the richest Renais¬
sance interiors in England, and the hall contains a few paintings.
The Library has some valuable MSS. The shady *Gardens, which
contain a small lake, though less trim than some of the others, are
very beautiful. Lovelace, De Quincey, and F. W. Newman studied
We now descend Beaumont Street, and at the church of St. Mary
Magdalen turn to the right into Cornmarket Street. Here, to the
left, stands St. Michael's Church (PL 8; C, 3), with a tower
probably built by Robert d'Oily (11th cent.), as part of the town-
wall ; the rest of the church dates from various later periods. — To
the right, a little way back from the street, are the rooms of the
Union Society (PL B, 3), famous as a debating-society and under¬
graduates' club, founded in 1823.
Many of the most eminent of England's parliamentary speakers owe
part of their success to their training in the debates of the 'Union'. Meetings
for debate are held every Thurs. evening during terra. The premises
include reading, writing, smoking, and coffee rooms, a library, and a large
hall in which the debates are held. The library is adorned with frescoes
by Rossetti, Morris, and others. Visitors may be introduced for a few
days by a member.
A little farther on, Cornmarket Street joins High Street at
Carfax (PI. B, 3), the name of which is supposed to be a corruption
of Quatre Faces or Quatre Voies. The picturesque old conduit that
formerly stood here was removed toNunehaminl787(comp. p. 221).
To the right is St. Martin's Church, with a tower of the 13th century.
Crossing Carfax, we follow St. Aldate's Street (pron. St. Old's),
which forms a S. prolongation of Cornmarket Street. On the left
stands the Town Hall (PL 41; B, C, 3), and on the right are the
Post Office and the Church of St. Aldate (PI. 5 ; B, 4), a handsome
Decorated edifice of the 14th century. The Aims-Houses to the S.