Exeter. OXFORD. 30. Route. .235
architecture; it commands a good view of the Radcliffe (p. 229).
The library contains Wren's original designs for St. Paul's. All
Souls is singular in having practically no undergraduates, though
it has 50 fellowships, mostly held by lawyers. Jeremy Taylor,
Herrick, and Blackstone were members of All Souls.
All Souls is adjoined by the church of St. Mary, already men¬
tioned at p. 228. On the same side, a little farther on, is All Saints'
Church, built in 1705-8. At this point Turl Street, so named
from an old entrance to the town at the N. end (A. S. thyrl, a hole),
diverges to the right. In this street, on the right, is —
Lincoln College (PI. 19; C, 3), founded by a Bishop of Lincoln
in 1427. The chapel, dating from 1631, contains some good stained
glass brought from Italy at that period. In the quadrangle to the
right are two luxuriant vines. John Wesley was a fellow of Lincoln,
and Mark Pattison was Rector.
In the same street, separated from Lincoln College by a lane, is
Exeter College (PI. 16; C, 3), founded by Walter of Stapleton,
Bishop of Exeter, in 1314. All the buildings have been repeatedly
restored, and several of them were erected in the present century.
The *Chapel is a very successful modern revival of 13th cent. Gothic
(adm. 10-12 and 2-4, free). The Hall, built in 1618 and restored
in 1818, is also noteworthy. The Fellows' Garden, to which visitors
are admitted after 1 p.m. affords a good view of the Bodleian Library
and the Divinity School. The large chestnut at the foot of the
garden is known as 'Heber's Tree', because it overhung Heber's
rooms in Brasenose (see p. 229). Among the famous alumni of
Exeter are Lyell, Dyce (the Shakespearian commentator), F. D.
Maurice, and J. A. Froude. Opposite Exeter College stands —
Jesus College (PL 17; C, 3), founded by Queen Elizabeth and
Dr. Hugh Price in 1571, rebuilt in 1621-67, and restored in 1856.
The chapel dates from 1621, and contains some oaken wainscoting
of that period. The hall contains a fine Jacobean screen and some
portraits, including one of Charles I., ascribed to Van Dyck; the
library has some valuable Welsh MSS. In the Bursary is a huge
silver punch-bowl, holding eight gallons. This college was origin¬
ally intended for Welsh students only, and divine service is still
held in the chapel in Welsh twice a week. It has been prolific of
Welsh bishops. — We now proceed to theN. end of Turl Street and
cross Broad Street. Here, facing us, is the gateway leading to —
Trinity College (PL 27; C, 2), established in 1554 on the site
of a Benedictine college suppressed by HenTy VIII. The chapel,
built in 1694 in the classical style, contains a beautiful carved
screen and altar-piece by Grinling Gibbons. In the garden is a
celebrated avenue of limes. Chillingworth, Selden, Landor, the
elder Pitt, Lord Selborne, Cardinal Newman, and E. A. Freeman
are among the members of Trinity. — In Broad St., to the WT. of
Trinity College, lies —