Wadham. OXFORD. 30. Route. 231
the 17th century. [5Iost of the inscriptions are in a room on the
ground-floor of the Old Schools, and the rest of the sculptures are
in the University Galleries.] "
Also in Broad St., to the E. of the Theatre, is the Clarendon
Building (PL 10; C, 3), built in 1713, in part with the profits of
the sale of Lord Clarendon's History of the Rebellion, the copyright
of which was presented to the University by his son. The Clarendon
was long occupied by the University printing-press, but now
contains offices of the governing body of the University.
To the E. of the Clarendon buildings, at the end of Broad St. and
Holywell St., is the Indian Institute, a building in an Oriental style, in¬
tended for students qualifying for the Indian Civil Service. Its museum
is open 10-4 in winter and 10-6 in summer. — In Holywell St., a little to
the E. of the Indian Institute, is a Music Room.
From the end of Broad St., Park St. leads N. to —
Wadham College (PI. 29, C 3; on the right), founded in 1613,
and built in a uniform and pleasing style. The gate-tower and the
timber-ceiling of the hall deserve inspection, and the chapel (see
p. lvii), with some stained glass of 1622, is also fine. The gardens
are among the prettiest in Oxford. Among the alumni of Wadham
are Sir Christopher Wren, Lord Chancellor Westbury, and Admiral
Blake. The Royal Society (see Baedeker's London) grew out of meet¬
ings for scientific discussion held here in the time of the Common¬
wealth (ca. 1648). Most of the leaders of the English Positivists
(Frederic Harrison, Congreve , Beesley) came from Wadham. —
Farther to the N., at the beginning of the Parks, is the new —
♦University Museum (PI. 43; C, D, 2), a tasteful early-Gothic
building erected in 1857-60. It contains valuable geological,
chemical, anatomical, zoological, and other collections (open daily,
2-4). The chemical laboratory is well equipped.
Nearly opposite the Museum is Keble College (PL 18; C, 1,2),
built in 1868-70 as a memorial of the Rev. John Keble, author of
the 'Christian Year', and intended to afford the opportunity of a uni¬
versity career to those whose means do not permit them to study at
the older and more expensive colleges. The buildings are of varie¬
gated brick, and the chapel, entered from the archway at its W. end
(open 10-12 and 2-4, in summer till 5.30), is gorgeously adorned
with mosaics. Keble resembles the Halls in having no Fellows.
The library contains Holman Hunt's 'Light of the World'.
In front of Keble is the University Park (PL D, 1, 2), one of
the most charming recreation-grounds in England. The scene during
an important cricket-match is very bright and varied. The Univer¬
sity Observatory stands in the Park.
From Keble we now return, passing Wadham College, to the
end of Broad St., and follow Catherine St., which leads hence in a
straight direction towards the S. To the left stands Hertford Col¬
lege (PL 32; C, 3), on the site of Hart or Hertford Hall, which
was founded about 1282. In 1822 the buildings were occupied by