Bodleian. OXFORD. 30. Route. 229
in 1560. The University Sermons, preached here on Sun. forenoon
and afternoon, are preceded by the special 'Bidding Prayer' for the
University. — At the back (to the N.) of this church rises the —
*Radcliffe Library (PL 36; C, 3), founded in 1737 by Dr. Rad-
cliffe, court-physician to William III. and Mary II. The building
is a handsome rotunda, embellished with columns, and surmounted
by a dome resting on an octagonal base; Mr. Freeman considers it
'the grandest of all English-Italian designs'. The books have been
removed to the University Museum, and the building is now used
as part of the Bodleian (10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; adm. 3d.). In clear
weather an admirable *View of Oxford and the country round is
obtained from the foot of the dome. — Opposite the W. gate of the
Radcliffe Library rises the old gate-tower of —
Brasenose College (PL 13; C, 3), or the King's Hall, founded
in 1509. The site of this college was originally occupied by a much
older institution, called Brasenose Hall, possibly because it was
built on the site of a brewery ('Brasenhus'), though there is no
evidence to support this conjecture. The form 'brazenose' appears
in a document of 1278, and is perpetuated by a large brazen nose
affixed to the college-gate and by the Latin phrase ('Collegium
Aenei Nasi') in the official documents of the college. The gate and
the hall have preserved their original character unaltered; a new
entrance from the 'High' is now in progress. The library and
the chapel, completed in 1663 and 1666, show an unpleasing
medley of Gothic and classic forms. The books of Brasenose con¬
tain the names of Foxe (author of the 'Book of Martyrs'), Burton
(author of the 'Anatomy of Melancholy'), Bishop Heber, Rev. F. W.
Robertson, Dean 51ilman, and the Rev. R. H. Barham (author of
the 'Ingoldsby Legends').
The large quadrangular block of buildings to the N. of the
Radcliffe Library contains the Old Examination Schools (comp.
p. 234), begun in 1439 and completed in 1613-18. The principal
entrance is by a Gothic gateway on the E. side. The side of the
tower facing the court is adorned with columns of all the five Roman
architectural orders, and with a statue of James I., supported by
figures of Religion and Fame. The tower is crowned with an open
parapet and pinnacles.
Since the erection of the New Schools (p. 234), however, the
whole of this quadrangle has been absorbed by the —
'"Bodleian Library (PI. 2, C 3; open 9 to 3, 4, or 5, according
to the season; adm. for a visitor 3d., unless accompanied by a
member of the university in academic dress), which was originally
established in 1445, but practically refounded and rebuilt by Sir
Thomas Bodley in 1597-1602. The entrance is in the S.W. corner
of the quadrangle.
The library contains about 460,000 printed volumes, besides numerous
valuable manuscripts and incunabula, drawings, and coins. It also pos¬
sesses a collection of models of ancient temples and other buildings and.