228 Route 30. OXFORD. Oriel.
*Merton College (PI. 21; C, 4), the oldest in the University,
founded by Walter de Merton in 1264 and intended by him ex¬
clusively for the education of parish-priests. The *Chapel (10-5) is
one of the finest in Oxford ; the choir was built by the founder and
consecrated in 1276 , while the ante-chapel and tower date from
1417-24 (service on Sun. at 11 a.m.). The massive tower is one of
the landmarks of Oxford. The windows of the ante-chapel are ex¬
cellent examples of early-Perpendicular (comp. p. 165). The
chapel contains two very fine brasses of the 14th and 15th cent., and
Anthony a Wood (d. 1695), the chronicler of Oxford, is buried in
the ante-chapel. The Library, built at the end of the 14th cent., is
the most ancient inEngland and contains many rare books andMSS.
The Inner Quadrangle is a good example of the Jacobean style.
Duns Scotus, Steele, Harvey (discoverer of the circulation of the
blood), and Bodley (founder of the Bodleian Library) are among the
most distinguished alumni of 51erton, which has also contributed
six archbishops to the see of Canterbury. The garden commands a
fine view: to the E. is Magdalen Tower, to the W. the Cathedral,
in front Christ Church Meadow (PL C, 4, 5). The latter, which is
intersected by the *Broad Walk, an avenue of noble elms, may be
reached by the lane between «\lerton and Corpus.
The Broad Walk is the scene of 'Show Sunday', formerly a fashionable
promenade on the evening of the Sunday in Commemoration Week (p. 225),
but now almost wholly resigned by 'Gown' to 'Town". A delightful walk
may be taken from Christ Church Meadow along the Isis, passing the
College Barges (p. 222), to the Cherwell and Magdalen College (comp.
Incorporated with Merton is St. Alb an Hall (PL 37), founded
in 1230, with a facade dating from 1600. Among the eminent
names connected with this small institution are Massinger,
Whateley, and Speaker Lenthall. — 5Ve now return to the 5V. end
of Merton St., where Oriel St. diverges to the right. On the right
side of the latter stands —
Oriel College (PI. 23; C, 4), founded by Edward II. in 1326.
The present buildings date mainly from 1630-37, and though des¬
titute of marked architectural merit form a picturesque and
pleasing whole. The library was erected in 1788. Sir 5Valter
Raleigh, Bishop Butler, John Henry Newman, Abp. 5Vhateley,
Keble, Dr. Thomas Arnold, Bishop Wilberforce, Thomas Hughes,
and Pusey were members of Oriel. — In the same street, a little
farther on, is St. Mary Hall (PL 38; C, 3), established in 1333;
it is known in the undergraduate world as 'Skimmery'. Opposite,
on the N. side of High St., is St. Mary's (PL C, 3), the Univer¬
sity Chun-h (sacristan, bwait Court, High St.). The handsome spire
dates from 1300, the choir from 1460, the nave from 1488, and
the S. porch with its curious twisted pillars (p. Mi), added by
Dr. Owen, chaplain of Abp. Laud, from 1637. A slab in the
chancel pavement records that Amy Robsart was buried in the choir