Corpus Christi. OXFORD. 30. Route. 227
The E. window is by Burne Jones. On the N. side are a series of inter¬
esting monuments: Sir George Nowers (d. 1425) and Lady Montacute
(d. 1353), with fine effigies; the Prior's Tomb (ca. 1300); and the so-called
Shrine of St. Frideswide (15th or 16th cent.), more probably a watching-
chamber. On the pier at the foot of the monument of Sir George Nowers
is the tablet of Robert Burton (d. 1639), author of the 'Anatomy of Melan¬
choly', with an inscription by himself.
To the N. of the Lady Chapel is the Decorated Latin Chapel (14th
cent.), so called from the daily reading of the college-prayers in Latin.
The flowing tracery of the windows and the bosses of the vaulting de¬
serve attention. The new E. window has poor tracery, but good stained
glass (by Burne Jones; story of St. Frideswide).
The Chapter House, a good E. E. room, is entered by a fine late-
Norman door in the E. side of the Cloisters (Perp.), to the S. of the
Nave (canon's order necessary).
We now return through the Great Quadrangle, passing the
Dean's house on the right, and enter Peckwater Quadrangle, built
in 1705. On the S. side is the Library, dating from 1761, and con¬
taining a valuable collection of books and a few good paintings and
drawings by Italian masters (Raphael, etc.; open 11-1 and 2-4, in
vacation 9-6; adm. 3d.).
The pictures include a Nativity by Titian and a curious Butcher's
Shop by A. Carracci. In the entrance-hall is a statue by Chantrey, and
on the staircase are a bust of Persephone by Hiram Powers and a statue
of John Locke by Rysbrack. The curiosities of the library (upstairs) in¬
clude a letter of Charles II. and a Latin exercise book of the Duke of
Gloucester, son of Queen Anne, with corrections by his tutor Bishop
To the S. of Tom Quad are the modern Christ Church Meadow
Buildings, the great gate of which forms one of the chief ap¬
proaches to the Broad Walk and the river (comp. p. 223).
Among the most distinguished members of Christ Church are
Sir Philip Sidney, Locke, Camden, Ben Jonson, the Wesleys, the
Duke of Wellington, Peel, Pusey, Ruskin, and Gladstone. This
was also the Prince of Wales's college.
To the N. is Canterbury Quad. Here we leave the college by
Canterbury Gate, which marks the site of Canterbury College, an
extinct corporation of which Wycliffe (d. 1384) was once Warden,
and which numbered Sir Thomas More (beheaded 1535) among its
students. From Canterbury Gate, King Street leads to the E., with the
side of Oriel College to the left. To the right is the entrance to —
Corpus Christi College (PL 15; C, 4), founded in 1516 by
Fox, Bishop of Winchester. The vaulted roof of the gateway leading
to the quadrangle is fine, and the latter contains a curious old sun¬
dial with a perpetual calendar. In the S.E. corner is the chapel
(with an altar-piece by Rubens), and beside it is the passage to
the cloisters and to the newer part of the college, added in 1706.
The library is rich in illuminated MSS. and incunabula. Bishop
Hooker was a student of Corpus, and his rooms are still pointed out;
other eminent members are Cardinal Pole, Bishop Jewell, Keble.
and Thomas Day, author of 'Sandford and Merton'. — On leaving
Corpus we turn to the right (E.), and, passing the chapel, reach the
entrance (to the right) of —■