ABINGDON. 30. Route. 215
and the Chapel also remains. The chief Domestic Apartments are
on the E. side of the quadrangle. The whole place stands on a
series of vaulted crypts. Bishop Jones and Mr. Freeman consider
it to be altogether unsurpassed by any existing English edifice of
its own kind.
The fortified Wall, enclosing the cathedral-precincts, is also
attributed to Bishop Gower, and may be traced throughout nearly
its whole extent. The only gateway remaining is the one already
mentioned at p. 212.
The Cliffs near St. David's, though not remarkable for their height,
are picturesque and varied in outline. Among the most interesting points
are St. David's Head (100 ft. above the sea), a spur of Cam Llidi, 2»|2 M.
to theN.W., cut off from the mainland by an ancient stone fortification;
the ruined Chapel of St. Non, the mother of St. David, due S. of the
city; and Capel Stinan (2 M. due W.), built by Bishop Vaughan (1509-22),
on the site of an ancient pilgrimage-chapel dedicated to St. Justinian, the
confessor of St. David. — Off the coast lies the island of Ramsey, a great
resort of woodcocks in October. To the W. lie the Bishop and his Clerks,
a group of rocks of which Fenton ('History of Pembrokeshire', p. 126),
quoting George Owen (16th cent), says that they 'preache deadly doctrine
to their winter audience, such poor seafaring men as are forcyd thether
by tempest; onlie in one thing they are to be commended, they keepe
residence better than the rest of the canons of that see are wont to do'.
On the coast, 16 M. to the N.E. of St. David's, is Fishguard (Com¬
mercial; Great Western), a small town in a land-locked bay, near Strumble
Head, on which a French force of 1400 men landed in 1797, only to be
ignominiously captured by the local militia. Goodwic, 1 M. from Fish¬
guard, is a small watering-place. The neighbourhood abounds in meini-
hirion, cromlechs, crosses, and other antiquities. Coach from Fishguard
to Haverfordwest, see p. 199. From Fishguard we may continue our
northward progress along the coast to (7 M.) Newport (p. 199), Cardigan
(p. 199), etc..'
30. From London to Oxford.
a. Great Western Railway via Didcot.
63'/2 M. Great Western Railway from Paddington Station in l'/2-4 hrs.
(fares lis., 8s. 4d., 5s. 3'/2d; return lgs. 6d., 14s.). This is the quickest
route from London to Oxford.
From London to (53 M.) Didcot, see R. 14. The Oxford branch
here diverges to the right from the main line of the Great Western
Railway, and traverses a fertile and pleasing district. The Thames
is crossed twice, and many beautiful views of it are obtained.
From (56 M.) Culham, with a training-college for schoolmasters, a
visit may be paid to Dorchester (see p. 220). We now pass Nune-
ham Park (p. 221) and cross the Isis. — 58V2 M. Radley, with an
Radley is the junction of a short line to (2'/,> M.) Abingdon (Crown <t
Thistle; Queen's), a town of 6600 inhab., with a busy trade in corn. Few
remains are left of the Abbey, once of considerable importance. St.
Helen's Church is a large and interesting edifice, with a fine spire. Cum-
nor Hall (p. 239), 5 M. to the N., was originally a seat of the Abbots of
Beyond Radley the train skirts the Isis (Thames). Bagley Woods