214 Route 29. ST. DAVID'S.
is one of the most characteristic features of St. David's, and on the whole
harmonizes wonderfully well with the Norman work below. The ori¬
ginal builders contemplated a vaulted roof, and the shafts to support it
are still in situ both in the nave and aisles.
From the .aisles we enter the Transepts by Norman doorways in¬
stead of arches. The W. walls of the transepts seem to be part of the
original church, while the rest dates from after the accident of 1220
(p. 213), with later alterations. They offer a good exhibition of 'a pe¬
culiar form of incipient Gothic, found in this church and several others
in South Wales and the West of England.' In the N. transepts is the
Shrine of St. Caradoc (d. 1124). — Attached to the E. face of the N. tran¬
sept is a singular building, originally erected after 1220 as a Chapel of
St. Thomas, and now used as the Chapter House and Vestry. It contains
a beautiful E. E. piscina. It is in three stories, the second and third
having been originally the chapter-house and the treasury.
The Lantern in the interior of the Tower is formed by four fine
Transitional arches, of which three are pointed and one (to the W.) cir¬
cular. The roof is Decorated. Sir G. G. Scott found the tower in a
very precarious condition, but was fortunately able to restore it in such
a way as to make it safe. The space below the tower forms the greater
part of the ritual Choir, which is separated from the nave by an elabor¬
ate Rood Screen, erected by Bishop Gower (1328-47), who is buried in
one of its canopied recesses. The Stalls and Bishop's Throne date from
the second half of the 15th century.
To the E. of the ritual choir, and separated from by it by a wooden
parelose or screen, is the Presbytery (1220-1248), which is similar in gen¬
eral style to the nave, except that the advance towards the E. E. style
is indicated by the substitution of pointed for circular arches. The E.
end contains two tiers of lancet windows, the lower of which are filled
with mosaics, by Salviati of Murano, instead of with glass. On the N.
side of the presbytery is the Shrine of St. David (d. 601), an E.E. monu¬
ment which perhaps marks his burial-place. Opposite is the monument of
Bishop Anselm (d. 1247), and in the middle that of Edmund Tudor (i.
1456), father of Henry VII.
Adjoining the presbytery on the E. is Bishop Vaughan's Chapel, a
good Perpendicular structure of the beginning of the 16th century. In
its W. wall, at the back of the high-altar, is a curious recess with a
pierced cross (also visible from the presbytery). Beneath this is an equal-
armed cross, in relief, which may be a relic of the church that preceded
Bp. de Leia's (see p. 213). The chapel is bounded on the E. by a solid
wall, and is entered from the aisles of the presbytery. It would seem
that the space between the E. end of the presbytery and the vestibule
of the Lady Chapel (see below) was open to the sky, until appropriated
by Bishop Vaughan for this chapel. It is obvious that the aisles of the
presbytery have also been lengthened towards the E.
The Lady Chapel (1290-1328), which has not yet been restored, is ap¬
proached by a vestibule with a fan-vaulted roof. On the S. side of it is
the tomb of its founder, Bishop Martyn (d. 1328).
To the N. of the nave of the cathedral are the ruins of St.
Mary's College, built by Bishop Houghton (1362-89), the most pro¬
minent feature being the tall slender tower of its chapel. The space
between the college and the cathedral was occupied by a cloister
attached to the former.
To the W. of the cathedra], on the opposite bank of the Alan,
are the picturesque and extensive remains of the *Episcopal
Palace, built by Bishop Gower (p. 213) about 1347. The most
prominent feature is the beautiful arcaded parapet, of which we
have already seen foreshadowings at Swansea (p. 193) and Lam¬
phey (p. 210). The Great Hall has a fine porch and rose-window,