Konigs-Platz. BERLIN. Section 6. 137
a lantern encircled with columns, which is in turn surmounted by
an imperial crown. At the corners are four boldly designed towers,
195 ft. high.
The chief (W.) Fac/ade, turned towards the Konigs-Platz, with a
portico borne by six columns, is the richest in plastic adornment.
To the right and left of the door are reliefs, by 0. Lessing, of the
Rhine and the Vistula, leaning respectively against an oak-tree and
a pine-tree, in the branches of which hang the arms of the German
states; above the door is a figure of St. George (with the features
of Bismarck), bearing the imperial banner, designed by Siem.ering;
in the pediment is a relief by Schaper, representing Art and In¬
dustry protected by Germanic warriors; on the apex of the pedi¬
ment is a colossal Germania on horseback, bearing shield and
banner and escorted by two genii, by R. Begas (in copper).— Over
the S. door is a lion guarding the regalia, by Klein; over the N.
door a figure of Truth, by Briitt. — On the E. facade is a portico,
beneath which is a covered carriage-way. At the sides are huge
representations of the imperial coat-of-arms protected by two
knights, and at the foot of the approach on each side are bronze
candelabra, surmounted by figures of Victory dispensing laurels,
by A. Vogel. Above are two mounted heralds (in copper), by Maison.
The exterior of the corner-towers also deserves notice. Above
the architrave supported by columns rising from the basement story
are 16 figures typifying the different industries and occupations of
the German people, by Behrens, Diez, Eberle, Eberlein, Lessing,
Maison, Schlierholz, and Volz. Between these are the names of
the German princes reigning in 1871. — The windows of the prin¬
cipal floor show the arms of the federal states and free cities.
The Interior (adm., see p. 39), the decoration of which is still
incomplete, is entered by Portal V, on the N. The N. Vestibule is
adjoined to the right by a Waiting Room, whence we ascend to the
principal floor. Here w'e enter the *Wandel-Halle, or Promenade
Hall, which rises through two stories and runs N. and S. for the
length of 315 ft. The floor is inlaid with coloured marble. At
the sides, above, are galleries. The central portion consists of an
octagon (82 ft. high, and 75 ft. in diameter), surmounted by a dome
and separated from the side-halls by galleries and rows of columns.
In the centre is a marble monument to Emp. William I. by Pfuhl
(1905). Above hangs a huge bronze chandelier (25 ft. in diameter)
by Riedinger of Augsburg. The decorative figures above the four
angle-recesses of the dome are by O. Lessing. The doors on the E.
of the octagon lead into the Hall of the Diet (see p. 138), while to
the W. is the main entrance (from the Konigs-Platz), which is used
on ceremonial occasions only. The general effect of this hall will
he greatly enhanced when its colour-decoration is completed by
ceiling-paintings and stained-glass windows.