Abgeordneten-Haus. BERLIN. Section 5. 135
quisite cabinet made in 1617 for Philip II., Duke of Pomerania.
*German silver ware of the Renaissance, including specimens by the
celebrated goldsmiths Chr. Jamnitzer, J. Silbcr, H. Petzold, and
P. Gbttich. Reproductions of German plate, especially of the work
of Eisenhoit. The windows contain stained glass from Switzerland.
— Room 66. Magnificent carved wood ceiling (ca. 1560), from a palace
in Fano. Italian bronze-works. *Door-knockeis. *Painted enamels
from Limoges (15-17th cent.), including several specimens of great
beauty and rarity. — Corner Room 67: Works in copper, tin, and
brass; German plaquettes in lead and bronze. Pewter platters by
Briot and Enderlein. *Stained-glass window from Nuremberg, pro¬
bably designed by Albrecht Diirer (1508). — Room 68: Collection of
glass, one of the most complete departments in the museum. Venetian
glass. Cab. 626: *Two enamelled glasses of the end of the 15th cent.
(Venice). Among the German glass may be specified the so-called
*'Schaper Glasses', with black enamel paintings. Bohemian glass;
Ruby and spun glass. *Chinese glass. Antique Roman glass; Persian
glass; German glass vessels with enamel painting.
Second Floor: access in the S.E. corner of the gallery (p. 134).
— Rooms 72-76: *Collection of Textile Fabrics, the most complete
in existence, especially as regards the extremely rare mediaeval
fabrics, which, however, are only of technical interest. Needlework
of every kind, period, and country is here represented, as also
tapestry and wallpapers. — The adjoining Gallery contains a col¬
lection of Italian, Spanish and Netherlandish leather hangings. —
Collection of decorative plaster-casts, extending from antiquity to
the 18th century.
Adjoining the Museum, an Art-Industrial School (director,
Prof. Bruno Paul) was erected in 1901-5.
The Museum possesses a Library and Collection of Ornamental En¬
gravings (director, Dr. Jessen), of which special catalogues are issued. —
In the basement is the valuable Library of Costumes (30,000 plates and
10,000 vols.), collected by Baron von Lipperheide (p. 74) and presented
to the state in 1898 (varying exhibitions).
Opposite the Museum on the left side of the Prinz -Albrecht-
Strasse rises the —
Abgeordnetenhaus, or Prussian Chamber of Deputies
(PI. G, 19), a handsome Renaissance edifice by F. Schulze, erected in
1893-98, with allegorical statues on the exterior by O. Lessing. In
the entrance hall are four bronze figures by Stark. The large session
hall, the walls of which are adorned with views of twelve towns by
M. Koch, K. Lessing, Giinther-Naumburg, and Schirm, contains
seats for 433 deputies. Adm., see p. 36. — The building is connected
with the Herrenhaus or Upper Chamber of the Diet (see p. 124) by
means of a passage at the back, which leads through an intermediate
building for government representatives (containing a handsome
chamber for cabinet meetings, by Messel).