134 Section 5.
BERLIN. Art-Industr. Museum.
the pilasters of the Gallery contain modern French medallions and
plaquettes by *Roty and others, New Year's cards of thin iron, etc.;
then, small articles of domestic nse, such as knives, forks, spoons,
combs, fans, cake-moulds, and the like, many of them elaborately
carved and ornamented. — On the W. side is a collection of Orna¬
ments, in geographical and chronological order: Cabinet 283, Eglo-
mise work (painting under glass); Cab. 280, mediaeval ornaments
(ca. 1400), discovered near Pritzwalk in Brandenburg. On the N.
and E. walls: Spanish, Italian, and Oriental tiles. — At the back
(S. side): to the right German stoves and tiles; in the centre, modern
porcelain; to the left, a selection of textile fabrics (stairs to the
2nd floor, see p. 135).
S. E. Corner. Room 48: Varying exhibition of textile fabrics.
— Room 49: Bookbindings; leather-work, e.g. an octagonal box with
love-scenes from Bale, 14th cent. —Room 50: Drawings and en¬
gravings of ornaments.
E. Side. Here and on the N. side the highly important collection
of artistic pottery is exhibited. Large Cupola Room 51: *Collection
of Italian majolica, one of the most extensive of the kind in the
world. The art of majolica-painting enjoyed its highest develop¬
ment in 1480-1540, and also flourished at Urbino in the reign of
Duke Guidobaldo II. (1538-74). Engravings and woodcuts were the
favourite patterns of the painters. The chief manufactories were at
Gubbio (celebrated for its gold and ruby tints: Cab. 321), Urbino
(Cab. 315, 316), Faenza and Caffagiolo near Florence. At a later
period majolica was also made at Castelli, at Deruta in Umbria, with
an opalescent sheen like mother-of-pearl (Cab. 314, 323), and in
Northern Italy. — Rooms 52-54: Oriental and Hispano-Moorish,
*Delft, and German fayence.
N. Side. Room 55: German stoneware. Palissy and 'Hirsvogel'
ware; Franconian, Rhenish, Nassau, and *Siegburg stoneware. —
Room 56: French (Moustiers, Rouen, Strassburg, etc.), Spanish and
Italian fayence; Wedgwood ware. — Rooms 57-59: European por¬
celain. Room 57: Berlin; R. 58: Dresden (to the left, specimens of
Bbttger's first efforts in 1710); pieces of the celebrated Swan service
of Count Briihl; three monuments to Gellert (Cab. 427). Room 59
contains examples of other German and foreign fabrics.
North West Corner. Rooms 60-63. Porcelain, lacquer work, and
metal-works from China, Japan, Persia, and India.
West Side. Works in metal. Room 64: Clocks and scientific
instruments. — Central Cupola Room 65: **Objects in the pre¬
cious metals. German silver ware of the 17-18th centuries. *Church-
plate from St. Dionysius at Enger, the earliest pieces dating from
the time of Duke Wittekind. **'Lilneburger Ratssilberzeug', a fine
service of 36 pieces of plate of the 15-16th cent., purchased in 1874
for 33,000Z. Adjoining is the *'Pomniersche Kunstschrank', an ex-