132 Section 5.
BERLIN. Art-Industr. Museum:
dances. — Here is also an interesting collection of Chinese, Ja¬
panese, and Korean antiquities from the pre-Buddhistic and early
Room VIII. Japan (continued). Objects in lacquer and in¬
struments of war. Objects from the Loo-Choo Islands and Korea.
— AVe return through R. VII to the staircase, where are Japanese
porcelain and paintings on folding-screens.
Several rooms on the third floor (not yet open) contain objects
from Africa, China (burial-customs), North America (negro races),
and Grseco-Buddhist carvings from India.
In the Prinz Albrecht-Str., farther on, to the right, is the —
"Museum of Industrial Art (PI. G, 19), founded in 1867,
a very extensive and valuable collection of the products of many
different countries, both ancient and modern. The handsome build¬
ing was erected in 1877-81 in the Renaissance style by Gropvm
& Schmieden, with effective facades in hewn stone and terracotta.
The mosaics below the cornice, executed in Venice from designs by
Ewald and Geselschap, represent the epochs in the history of
civilisation typified by single figures. At the sides of the flight of
steps ascending to the door are sandstone statues of Peter Vischer
and Holbein, by Sussmauu-Hellborn. — Admission, see p. 38.
Director, Prof, von Fulke. Official catalogue (1907), 50 pf.
Ground Floor. — In the Vestibule (PL 1) is a high-altar from
a Mannheim church (ca. 1760), and the bow of a Venetian state-
galley (16th cent.). — We pass hence through a second Hall (PI. 2)
and enter the glass-covered Court (PI. 3), which is used for ex¬
hibition purposes. Above, below the glass-roof, is a rich frieze by
Geyer and Hundrieser, representing a procession of the nations
most distinguished in industrial art, saluting Borussia. The lower
arcade (PL 4-7) contains objects in wrought iron and Renaissance
furniture (cabinets, chests, caskets, etc.).
The rooms round the court contain furniture and domestic
equipments arranged in chronological order. Nearly all the rooms
contain fine stained-glass windows of the 13-16th centuries. Rooms
9 and 10 at the N.W. corner are used for temporary exhibitions.
W. Side. Rooms 11-13: Domestic furniture in the Gothic style,
chiefly cabinets and chests, adorned with carving and metal work.
Room 12: Enamels from the Lower Rhine and Limoges (ll-13th
cent.). Works in metal (chiefly ecclesiastical), crosses, censers, and
ewers. *Flemish tapestry with gold threads (15th cent.). Room 13:
*Collection of carved and painted caskets; ivory carvings. — Rooms
14-17: Italian and French Renaissance works. Musical instruments
and backgammon boards; spinet of Duke Alfonso II. of Ferrara. —
Room 15: Italian stone carvings; Christ bearing the cross, German
glass painting (ca. 1540). Room 16: Fine coffered ceiling and leather