124 Section 4. BERLIN. Leipziger-Strasse.
the Palace of Prince Frederik Henry of Prussia, erected in
1737-39, and remodelled by Schinkel in 1833.
From the Wilhelm-Platz the Voss-Strasse (PI. R, 19) diverges
to the W. At the corner (No. 1) stands the Preussische Pfandbrief-
bank ('mortgage bank'), a noble structure in the Italian style by
Lucae, originally erected for Borsig, the manufacturer (p. 166). The
statues on the exterior are by R. Begas, Encke, Hundrieser, and
Lessing, and represent Beuth, Borsig, and chinkel (on the Wilhelm-
Str. side), Archimedes, Leonardo da Vinci, James Watt, and Ste¬
phenson (on the Voss-Str. side). The extensive block at the opposite
corner (No. 35) is the Ministry of Public Works, including the
Imperial Office of Railways. At Nos. 4 & 5 in the Voss-Str. is
the Reichs-Justizamt ('Imperial Justice Office'), and there are also
many handsome private residences in this street.
A little to the S. of the W. end of the Voss-Str. lies the Pots¬
damer-Platz (p. 127), adjoined on the E. by the site of the old Pots¬
dam Gate and the octagonal Leipziger-Platz (PI. R, 19), which is
adorned with gardens and statues of Count Brandenburg (to the
left; d. 1850), the general and statesman, by Hagen, and Field-
Marshal Count Wrangel (to the right; d. 1877), by Keil. The
former was erected in 1862, the latter in 1880. At Nos. 6-10 in this
Platz is the Ministry of Agriculture, Domains, and Forests;
No. 13, on the N. side, is the Admiralty (Reichs-Marine-Amt);
No. 14 the offices of the Berlin Tramway Co. (p. 14); No. 15 Herr
Mosse's House, built by Ebe and Benda, with a sandstone frieze by
Max Klein representing the development of the German genius; and
No. 16 the House of the Imperial Automobile Club, designed by Ihne.
From the Leipziger-Platz the busy *Leipziger-Strasse (PI.
R, 19, 22), about 1 M. in length, crosses the Friedrich-Str. and'
runs E. to the Spittel-Markt. It is perhaps the chief artery of
traffic in Berlin (numerous tramways to the West End; see p. 126),
and excels even the Friedrich-Str. in the number of its handsome
commercial buildings, most of which are in the Renaissance
style. The visitor is advised to inspect this street in the evening,
when the shop-windows are brilliantly lighted.
No. 12, on the right, is the Ministry of Commerce and Industry,
on the groundfloor of which is the attractive dep6t of the Royal
Porcelain Manufactory (p. 179), which may be visited at any hour.—
Adjacent (Nos. 3-4) are the Herrenhaus and (No. 5) the War Office.
The Herrenhaus, or Upper Chamber of the Prussian Diet,
a handsome edifice in the Italian style by F. Schulze, was opened
in 1904. It is connected with the House of Representatives (p. 135;
passage on the E. side), and encloses a spacious fore-court, on either
side of which are dwellings for the presidents of the two chambers.
The sandstone fagade is decorated with sculptures, for which 0.
Lessing supplied the models; the pediment, supported by six co-