Wilhelm-Platz. BERLIN. Section 4. 123
William I., the new fagade dating from 1852. Opposite, to the left,
No. 67, is Herr Priugsheim's House, built by Ebe & Benda in
1873, with a mosaic frieze from designs by Anton von Werner.
No. 73, on the right, is the house of the Minister of the House¬
hold, erected in 1734-37 for Count Schwerin. No. 74 is the Reichs-
amt des lunern, or Imperial Home Office, where the German
Federal Council meets (comp. p. 139). No. 65, opposite, to the
left, is the office of the Minister of Justice; No. 64, the Privy
Office for Civil Affairs, erected by Vohl; and No. 63, the Stute
Ministry, the Offices of the State Lottery, and the General-
Ordeus-Commission. Then on the right, Nos. 75-76, the Foreign-
Office. No. 77 is the Imperial Chancellery and the Residence
of the Chancellor, originally built about 1738, rebuilt in 1875-76,
and occupied by Prince Bismarck till March, 1X90. (The Congress
of European Powers for the settlement of the Eastern Question in
1878 took place in the large hall in front.) No. 7x is the Palace
of Prince Pless, designed by the French architect Destailleur in
1872-75 in the style of the period of Louis XIII.
The Wilhelm-Platz (PI. R, 19, 22) is adorned with flower-beds
and with Statues of six heroes of the three Silesian wars of Fred¬
erick the Great: Schwerin, who fell, grasping the colours, at
Prague in 1757; Winterfeldt, Frederick's favourite, who fell at
Moys, near Gorlitz, in 1757, both by Kiss; Seydlitz, the hero of
Rossbach, who died in 1773; Keith, who fell at Hochkirch in 1758,
both by Tassaert (d. 1788); the gallant Zieten, who died in 1786;
and Pi-ince Leopold of Auhalt-Dessau, the victor at Kesselsdorf,
who died in 1747, the last two by G. Schadow.
The former marble statues were replaced in 18H2 by bronze statues
copied from the original figures, with the exception of those of Schwerin
and Winterfeldt, who had been inappropriately represented in Roman
costume, and are now in the Emperor Frederick Museum (p. 120).
On the N. side of the Wilhelm-Platz, Nos. 8-9, is the Palace
of Prince Frederick Leopold, erected in 1737 and remodelled by
Schinkel in 1827-28. — On the E. side lie the Kur & Neumarkische
Haupt-Ritterschafts-Direktion (No. 6) and the Kuiserhof (p. 3),
built in 1873-75 by Von der Hude & Hennicke. Behind the latter
is the Church of the Trinity (Dreifaltigkeits-Kirche), erected
in 1737-39 and enlarged in 1885-86; opposite the door is a bust, by
Schaper, of Schleiermacher (p. 171), the eminent preacher and
theologian, who was pastor here from 1809 until his death in 1834.
— On the S. side of the Wilhelm-Platz (No. 1) is the Imperial
In the Wilhelm-Str., farther to the S., beyond the Leipziger-Str.
(Nos. 92-93), is the Architekten-Huus ('Architects' Union'; PL R,
G, 22), built by Ende & Bockmann in 1875-76, with frescoes by Prell
in the central hall (restaurant, sec p. 10). — Beyond the Prinz-Al-
brecht-Str. (p. 135), and separated from the street by an arcade, is