122 Section 4. BERLIN. Wilhelm-Strasse.
with freestone. The E. or principal fagade is embellished with a
portico with six Ionian columns, approached by a prominent flight
of steps, flanked by two groups in bronze by F. Tieck, represent¬
ing genii riding on a panther and a lion. The tympanum of the
portico contains a group of the Children of Niobe in sandstone, by
the same sculptor. The summit of the principal part of the building
is crowned with an Apollo in a chariot drawn by two griffins, a
group in bronze by Ruuch and Tieck, in the tympanum beneath
which are Melpomene and Polyhymnia. On the W. summit of the
building, corresponding to the Apollo, is a Pegasus in copper. The
large N. tympanum contains the *Triumphal Procession of Bacchus
with Ariadne; in the S. tympanum, Orpheus bringing back Eurydice,
both by F. Tieck. The interior was entirely remodelled in 1904-5,
except the fine foyer, which serves also as a concert-room. The
decorations of the auditory are by Lessing, the ceiling-paintings
by Koberstein. Performances, see p. 27.
In front of the steps of the theatre a marble *Monument of
Schiller, 19 ft. in height, by R. Begus, was unveiled in 1871. The
pedestal is adorned with allegorical figures of lyric and dramatic
poetry, history, and philosophy.
To the N. of the theatre is the French Church, or French
Cathedral, in which a French sermon is still preached every second
Sunday. Built between 1701 and 1705, it was restored in 1905, but
still retains its original insignificant appearance. The New
Church, to the S., dating from the same period (1701-8), and res¬
tored in 1881-82, is interesting on account of its pentagonal form.
The handsome detached towers covered with domes (230 ft. in height)
were added in 1780-85 by Gontard, and still hold their place as
one of the most effective architectural designs in the city.
Opposite the Schauspielhaus (to the E.), at No. 21 Jager-Str.,
is the new building (1901) of the Konigliche Seehandlung, founded
in 1772, and now carrying on a banking business. The building at
the other corner of the Jager-Str. (No. 47, Markgrafen-Str.), was
built in 1781 (probably by Gontard) at the orders of Frederick the
Great. — At the N.W. corner, Charlotten-Str. 49, is the old wine-
house of Lutter (p. 9), with memorial-tablets to the actor L. Devrient
(d. 1832) and the poet E. Th. A. Hoffmann (d. 1822), who resorted
here. Hoffmann's and Heinrich Heine's (1823) residences, at
Nos. 31 and 32 Tauben-Str., to the W. of the square, are marked
by inscriptions and relief-portraits.
The "Wilhelm-Strasse (PI. R, 19, 22, G, 22) forms the W.
boundary of the Friedrich-Stadt, and is about l1/^ M. long. The N.
half of this street is considered the most aristocratic quarter of
the city. No. 70, on the right, close to the Linden, is the British
Embassy. No. 72, on the right, is the Palace of the late Prince
George of Prussia, built by Gerlach in the reign of Frederick