120 Section 4.
Cadet School at Gross-Lichterfeldc). In the middle: G. Schadow,
Frederick the Great (1793; modern copy of the monument at Stettin).
To the left, Schadow, Prince Leopold of Dessau (1800; originally in
the Lustgarten); Tassaert, Keith (1786). To the right, Schadow,
Zieten (1791); Tassaert, Seydlitz (1781). In the rear, F. G. Adam,
Schwerin (1769) and Winterfeldt (1777).
4. Southern Friedrich-Strasse. Gendarmen-Markt.
To the S. of the Linden lies the Friedrich-Stadt (p. 47), the
most regularly built quarter of Berlin. It is intersected from N.
to S. by the Friedrich-Strasse, by the Wilhelm-Strasse farther
to the W., and by the Charlotten-Strasse and Markgrafen-Strasse
farther to the E.
The Friedrich-Strasse (PI. R, 24-22, G, 22) is the longest
street in the inner town. Including the section to the N. of the
Linden (p. 144), it measures 2 M. from the former Oranienburg Gate
to the former Halle Gate, which lies iy4 M. to the S. of the Linden.
The central portion, near the Linden, is flanked on both sides with
handsome and substantial business-houses, including the retail pre¬
mises of several important breweries (comp. p. 9).
At the corner of the Friedrich-Str. and the Behren-Str., and
opposite the S. entrance to the Kaiser-Galerie (p. 56), is the build¬
ing of the Pschorr Brewery, built by Kayser & Von Groszheim, and
decorated with paintings by M. Koch and Flashar. On the upper floor
is Castan's Panopticum (p. 38).
The Behren-Strasse (PI. R, 22), the first cross-street (running
E. and W.), contains many handsome modern buildings, several of
which were erected by large banking houses. To the E. of the
Friedrich-Strasse, on the S. side, are Nos. 38-39, the Dresdner
Bank (p. 34), built by Heim; No. 32, the Berliner Handels-Gesell¬
schaft, built by Messel; No. 47, the Haus Trarbach (wine restaur¬
ant , see p. 8), built by Walther in a modern Romanesque style.
On the opposite side are Nos. 43-44, the Diskonto-Gesellschaft
(comp. p. 34), built by Heim; and No. 46, the Berliner Bank. To
the W. of the Friedrich-Strasse, Nos. 55-57, on the N. side, is the
Metropol Theatre (p. 28), built by Fellner & Hellmer (passage to
the Linden, see p. 56). On the S. side are Nos. 13-8, the Deutsche
Bank, a huge building occupying an entire block; No. 7a, built by
Kayser & Von Groszheim, containing the premises of the Nord-
deutsche Grund-Kredit-Bunk; and No. 2, the Mitteldeutsche
Kredit-Bank, built by Ende & Bockmann.
Continuing to follow the Friedrich-Str. we come (on the left)
to No. 80, the Restaurant zum Riidesheimer (p. 8); No. 79, at the