90 Section. 3. BERLIN. New Museum:
and 140. Patluan Master (15th cent,), Busts of Lod. Gonzaga;
between these, *160d. G. B. ('availi, Bust of Spagnuoli, superior
of the Camaldulensians. — To the right: two large *Busts of (ire-
gory XIII. and one of Conte del Negro, private secretary to
Clement VII. (16th cent.).—The shelves and small wall-cases and
the large cabinet in the centre of the room contain ~*Bronze
Statuettes, bv Donatella, Bertoldo, Bella/to, R'n-cio,.!. Sansoviuo,
Cellini, Giav. da Bologna, and nearly all the other great workers
in bronze.— By the walls and at the window are cases containing
a verv extensive collection (nearly 1000) of "Plaquettes. Dona¬
tella, Riecio, Matlerno, Valeria Bella, and all the other chief
masters are represented by numerous specimens.
The glass-eases in R. XII contain a Collection of Early
Christian Antiquities from Egi/jit (glass, terracottas, bronzes,
and ivory carvings).
In the staircase (p. 8Kj, as already mentioned, the wide central
flight of steps descends to the groundfloor.
2. Ghound Floor.
From the Vestibule (direct entrance, see p. s.si, we first turn
to the S. (left) and enter the hall of Casts of German Sculp¬
tures. The collection, which is historically arranged, contains
important works dating from the beginning of the XI. to the middle
of the XVI. century. The hall was originally intended for the Nor¬
thern Antiquities, and the mural paintings represent scenes from
.Most of the groundfloor is occupied by the —
*Egyptian Museum, one of the most important collections
of the kind, founded by Passaltici/ua. and greatly extended by
Lepsius in 1845 and again more recently. It is arranged in chrono¬
logical order (bv dynasties). Illustrated catalogue, 2nd edit., 1899
The Vestibule contains, among other objects of interest, an
obelisk of Ramses II., a monument of victory of 1'sertesen III., from
Nubia (i860 B.C.), a head of King Har-em-heb, and sacred monkeys.
The door leading hence to Room XI is at present closed (comp. p. 91).
— We pass through the anteroom beside the staircase and enter the —
Colonnade Court (PL III), which, together with Room V, re¬
presents the main features of an Egyptian temple. On the side
nearest the entrance: Statues of the lion-headed goddess Sekhmet,
In the entrance court: Ethiopian altar which has played an import¬
ant part in the deciphering of Ethiopian inscriptions: two crio-
sphinxes (that on the right a cast). In the back-ground are two
colossal figures of kings in a sitting posture, in porphyry: to the