Section 3. 71
catalogues sold inside the buildings. The catalogues offered for
sale outside are dear and untrustworthy.
The Director General of the Museums (including the Ethnographical
and Industrial Museums, pp. 118 and 122) is Dr. Richard Sehoene. Dr.
Bode is Director of the Picture Gallery and of the Collection of Christian
Sculptures; Dr. Kekulii rim Strudoititz of the Collection of Antiquities
and of the Antiquarium; Dr. Lijipmanu of the Cabinet of Engravings.
Dr. Menatlier and Prof. Dressed of the Collection of Coins, Prof. Delitzsc.h
of the Asiatic Antiquities, Prof. Erman of the Egyptian and Assyrian
Department, and Prof. IT. von Tschitdi of the National Gallery.
a. The Old Museum.
Admission, see p. 36. — The Official Guide to the Old and New
Museums (50 pf.; 12th edit., 1902) and also Special Catalogues and
Piiotoouapiis may be bought iu the Hall of the Heroes (p. 72).
The **01d Museum (PL R, 26), an admirable building in
the Greek style, with an Ionic, portico of eighteen columns, and
approached by a broad flight of steps, was erected by Schinkel. in
1824-28. The raised central part of the structure is adorned with
colossal groups in bronze: in front, the Horse Tamers of the Piazza
del Quirinale at Rome, a copy by Tieck; at the hack, Pegasus
refreshed by the Horse, by Schievelbein and Hayen. The steps also
are flanked by two large groups in bronze: right, ^Amazon on horse¬
back, defending herself against a tiger, by Kiss; left, Youth on
horseback, launching a spear at a lion, by A. Wolff.
The Vestibule contains marble statues of German artists and
architects: to the right of the entrance are those of Sauch (d. 1857),
by Drake, Cornelius (d. 1867), by Calandrelli, 67. W. von Knobels¬
dorff(A. 1753), by Karl Begas the Younger, Schliiter (d. 1714), by
Wiese, and Wiuckelmann (d. 1768), by Wichmann; to the left
those of Schinkel (d. 1841), by Tieck (copy)', Off ried Mutter (d. 1840),
byTondeur, Chodowieeki ("d. 1801), by Otto, Carstens (d. 179S),
by Janensch, and G. Schadow (d. 1850), by Hagen. The frescoes,
designed by Schinkel, and executed under the direction of Cor¬
nelius, represent (on the left) the development of the world from
chaos, and (on the right) the progress of human culture. (The
original designs, in the Schinkel Museum, p. 172, with a key attached,
afford more satisfaction.) — From the vestibule, a door leads to the
first floor of the Museum (see p. 72).
The Upper Vestibule, to which a double staircase ascends, is
adorned with a. copy of the celebrated ancient Warwick Vase in
England. The frescoes , also designed by Schinkel, represent the
struggle of civilised mankind against barbarians and the elements.
A fine view of the Lustgarteu with its fountains, the cathedral,
the Schloss, etc., is obtained hence from between the columns. —
A door here leads into the gallery encircling the rotunda (see p. 88),
while two others (open in summer only) admit direct to Saloons III
(to the right) and IX (to the left) of the picture-gallery (pp. 84, 87).