70 Section 2. BERLIN. Statue of Gr. Elector.
The horses are kept in two storieB of the river-wing, with the
carriages above. The small Historical Museum arranged here contains
the sledge on which the Great Elector pursued the Swedes across the
Kurische Haff in 1679; the white charger which Frederick the Great
bestrode at the battle of Mollwitz; Sadowa, a favourite horse of William I.;
and state carriages and sledges of the time of the first kings. — The main
wing contains a large hall with the coronation coach of 1740, and also
the saddle and harness rooms.
The Kurfiirsten-Briicke (Bridge of the Elector; PL R, 26)
leads to the E. from the Schloss-Platz to the old town of Berlin.
The bridge, built in 1692-95 after designs by Nering and rehuilt in
the old style in 1895, affords a good view of the river-front of the
Royal Palace (p. 64), the Cathedral (p. 62), the Rathaus (p. 139), the
Georgen-Kirche (p. 144), and the Dammmuhlen-Gebaude (p. 139).
The bridge is adorned with a bronze equestrian "Statue of
the Great Elector (d. 1688), designed by Schliiter and erected in
1703. This clever and artistic group is one of the few really good
works of a period when art was generally in a very debased condition.
In spite of the outlandish Roman costume, the figure is remarkable
for its air of majestic repose, which is heightened by contrast with
the movements of the four slaves round the pedestal. The latter
are intended to typify hostile powers against whom the Elector had
waged war. The reliefs on the sides represent respectively the Elec¬
torate and the Old Palace (left), and the Kingdom and the New
3. The Royal Museums. The National
Tramways Nos. 39, 40, 53, and 54; see p. 17 and comp. also p. 58.
y?- ; To the N. of the Lustgarten (p. 62) rises the Old Museum (see
p. 71), with the New Museum (p. 88) behind it, the two buildings
being connected by a passage carried across the street. To the right
is the National Gallery (p. 99). — The Pergamum Museum (p. 96)
and a building for the Olympian Exhibition and the Antiquities
from Western Asia (p. 97) are situated between the New Museum
and the Stadtbahn.
Beyond the Stadtbahn, on the point of land between the arms of the
Spree, the Emperor Frederick Museum is now being built, from lhne's
designs, for the reception of the Renaissance works in the Old and New
Museums, and for the Cabinets of Coins and Engravings. The plastic
decorations include a medallion of Frederick III. by 0. Lessing, on the
side next the railway, and ten groups on the attic by A. Vogcl and Wide-
mann, six of which represent the Arts, and the remaining four the chief
Art Cities. Two bridges will lead to the N. entrance, opposite to which
a monument of the Emperor, by R. Maison, is to be erected.
The following pages contain a short notice of the principal
treasures of the Museums. Details will be found in the official