Montim. to William I. BERLIN.
Section. 2. 69
Emperor (30 ft. high), in bronze, attired in a field-cloak and holding
a commander's baton in his right hand. He bestrides his favourite
charger Hippocrates, which is led by a graceful figure of *Peaee.
At the four corners of the base are Victories, standing upon globes,
with flowers and wreaths; and on the two principal sides are seated
colossal figures of War (to the N.) and Peace (to the S.). The
reliefs on the pedestal are of corresponding import (the 'Horrors of
War' and the 'Blessings of Peace'). Projecting from the corners
of the base are four lions, amid trophies of weapons and banners.
— A stone colonnade, with coupled Ionic columns, by Halmhuber,
extends on three sides of the platform, and is destined to receive
statues of the Emperor's contemporaries. The inside of the attic
is adorned with sculptured groups representing the kingdoms of
Prussia, by Breuer, Bavaria, by Gaul, Saxony, by Kraus, and Wurtem-
berg, by Breuer. The four groups at the back, visible from the
Schinkel Platz (p. 131), represent Commerce and Navigation (by
L. Cauer), Art (by Hidding), Science (by K. Begas), and Agriculture
and Industry (by L. Cauer). Each of the corner pavilions bears a
bronze * Quadriga, that to the N. with Borussia, by Gotz, that to
the S. with Bavaria, by Bernewitz. — Room was made for the monu¬
ment by removing the Schlossfreiheit, and narrowing the river
Spree. The cost amounted to 200,000/. The castings were made
In the Schloss-Platz (PL R, 25, 20), to the S. of the Palace
(tramways Nos. 60,63,80, see pp. 18,19), is the *Schlossbrunnen,
a monumental fountain by R. Begas, presented to the Emperor
William II. by the magistrates of Berlin, and unveiled in 1891. In
the centre is Neptune on a rocky throne, with Tritons and putti
below. The basin, 59 ft. in diameter, contains four marine animals,
while round the brim are allegorical figures of the Rhine, Oder,
Elbe, and Vistula. — To the W. of the square are the business
premises known as the Rote Schloss, built in 1806-67 by Ende &
On the S. side of the Schloss-Platz, between the Spree and the
Breite-Str., are the Royal Stables (PL R, 25, 20), a handsome
edifice erected by Ihue in the Renaissance style in 1897-1900. The
main front is 305 ft. long, while the river-front is 578 ft. in length.
The building is adorned with sculptures by Otto Lessiug. On the
attic are horse-tamers and figures of ancient warriors, while at
each end of the main front is a fountain inserted in the wall, that
to the left with Prometheus and the Oceanidie, that to the right
with Perseus and Andromeda. Of the older stables in the Breite-
Strasse (see p. 138). now surrounded by the new building, No. 35,
formerlv the Ribbeek House, has a line Renaissance doorway dating
from 1024, while the adjoining houses have baroque pediments. Adm.
to the stables, see p. 37.