22. JARDIN DES PLANTES.
with paintings: W., the limestone cliffs of the Fletschberg, and
the fall of the Staubbach near Lauterbrunnen, alluvial land formed
*by the Aare between Meiringen and Brienz; E., the Rosenlaui
Glacier in the Bernese Oberland, the eruption of Mount Vesuvius
in 1822, the volcanic islands of Stromboli (Lipari Islands), basaltic
lava near the waterfall of Quereil in the Department of Puy de
Dome, relief of the island of Re'union, executed 1845—52; statue
of Yermak, 'conque'rant de la Sibe'rie', in Siberian graphite. In
the centre of the hall a statue of Cuvier in marble, by David
d'Angers. This collection is admirably arranged, and affords every
facility to visitors who desire to examine it minutely.
At the entrance to the Botanical Department stands a
statue of Adrien de Jussieu, by He'ral. Non-professional visitors
will find this collection similar, and in some respects inferior, to
that at Kew : specimens of wood, bark, roots, models of fruit,
fossil plants, etc. The following objects of interest deserve special
mention: models in wax of fungi, executed by Pinson, presented
to Charles X. by the Emperor of Austria, and valued at 1000 I.;
huge trunks of palm-trees; a large round table formed of a solid
slab of the wood of the Baobab tree.
The Library, consisting of works on natural history, and
comprising a valuable collection of MSS. and original drawings,
is situated in the S.W. wing of the building above mentioned.
The Cabinet of Comparative Anatomy, situated on
the N. side of the garden, contains human and other skeletons,
anatomical sections of animals, casts of the heads of criminals, as
well as of eminent musicians, authors, etc. In the court skeletons
of large sea-fish, a whale, etc.
The Zoological Museum (Menagerie; admission see p. 154)
is the most frequented part of the entire establishment. An
idea of its arrangements will be best formed by consulting the
annexed plan. The pentagonal building in the centre (Rotonde
des grands animaux) contains the large graminivorous animals: ele¬
phants, giraffes, hippopotami, etc.; in the ong building on the
W. side are kept the beasts of prey (animaux fences): lions,
tigers, hyenas, wolves, etc. The interior arrangements of the
different cages and pavilions can only be inspected by special
permission (p. 154), or in some cases by a trilling fee to the
The large semicircular Palais des Singes ('palace of monkeys')
is a constant source of attraction to spectators. The same may
be said of the
Bears' Den (Fosse aux ours), 'Martin' (named after his prede¬
cessor brought from Berne) being frequently called upon to exhibit
his uncouth gambols.
The confined space in front of the Elephant's Cage is always
crowded, its inmate being an unfailing source of amusement.