22. JARDIN DES PLANTES.
to species hitherto unknown. To his intercession the garden was
indebted for its preservation from injury on the entrance of the
allied troops into Paris in 1814. During the siege of Paris by
the Prussians in 1870—71, the garden suffered seriously in
various respects. Ambulances were at that time, as well as sub¬
sequently under the Commune, established here, and when the
citizens were driven to extremities by famine, the authorities
directed a number of the animals to be sold to the butchers
(elephant, camel, buffaloes, fowls, etc.). The gardens are now
more correctly termed the 'Museum d'Histoire Naturelle', although
the original name is still commonly employed.
Opposite to the N.W. entrance, at the corner of the Rue
St. Victor and the Rue Cuvier, stands the Fontaine Cuvier,
erected during the reign of Louis Philippe. The figure in a
sitting posture, with the inscription 'rerum cognoscere causas',
as well as the figures of animals, indicate the object which the
natural sciences have in view.
Entering the gardens by this gate, the visitor immediately as¬
cends by the tortuous paths of the Labyrinth to the 'Gloriette',
a pavilion erected on the summit of a slight eminence which
was once a heap of rubbish thrown here by the inhabitants of
the Quartier St. Victor. On one of the pillars, under the
sun-dial, is the inscription: 'Horas non numero nisi serenas'.
('I count none but the bright hours'.) The view from this point
comprises a large portion of the city and its environs in the
direction of Montmartre, Vincennes, and Sceaux.
On the E. slope of the eminence is a magnificent cedar of
Lebanon, the first seen in France, presented in 1734 by Dr. Gol-
linson, an English physician, and planted here the following year
by the elder de Jussieu. It now measures upwards of 11 ft. in
circumference, and is still in a thriving condition. At the foot
of the slope is a monument to the memory of Daubenton (A. 1799),
a scientific man of high reputation, and formerly a superintendent
of the collections of the Jardin des Plantes.
In the vicinity is situated the Administration, or manager's
office, where, on exhibiting a passport (or visiting-card), strangers
are provided with cards of admission (p. 154).
The Zoological Museum (Galeries de Zoologie), adjoining
the labyrinth to the S., is upwards of 400 ft. in length, with the
entrance in the centre. Extensive as the building is, it hardly
suffices to contain the numerous collections.
The building, which contains the Library, and the Geological,
Mineralogical, and Botanical Collections, is 580 ft. in length, and
consists of a single story only.
The vestibule of the Geological Department contains
a large fresco recently executed, representing scenes from the
Arctic regions. The E. and W. sides of the hall are also adorned