22. JARDIN DES PLANTES. 155
Tuesd., Thursd., and Sat. from 11 to 2 by ticket, obtained at the
The Hot-houses (Serres) are accessible on Mond., Wed., and
Thursd. from 10 to 2 and from 3 to 6 o'clock, by card of ad¬
mission, obtained as above.
Near the botanical gallery is a Cafe, in front of which stands
the |oldest acacia in Europe, having been planted by Robin,
gardener of Louis XIII., the first introducer of the tree (Robinia
Pseudacacia). —Restaurants near the Jardin des Plantes, see p. 14.
The visitor is re ommended to enter the garden by the gate
opposite the Fontaine Cuvier (comp. p. 156).
The * Jardin des Plantes, situated on the S.E. side of Paris,
extends from E. to W., from the Pont d'Austerlitz (which after
the entrance of the Allies into Paris received the name of Pont
du Roi, and is inscribed with the names of the officers who fell
at Austerlitz) to the Rue Geoffroy St. Hilaire, a distance, of nearly
700yds.; its greatest breadth, near the E. extremity, is about
400 yds. Almost everything connected with natural science
which Paris contains appears to be here concentrated: living
plants and animals , rare collections , laboratories , library , etc.
The lectures, to which the public have gratuitous access, are
delivered in the Amphitheatre, a saloon capable of containing
1200 persons. At the entrances to the garden and at the doors
of the amphitheatre lists of the lectures are usually posted up;
they comprise zoology, physiology, anatomy, chemistry, physical
science, mineralogy, geology. and botany, and are given by a
staff of about 15 professors. Scientific men of European celebrity
have received their education here; among others' may be men¬
tioned the eminent botanists de Jussieu (Bernard d. 1776, Lau¬
rent d. 1836, Adrien d. 1853), the mineralogists Daubenton
(d. 1799) and Hauy (d. 1822), and the zoologists Buffon (d. 1788),
Lace'pede (d. 1826), Cuvier (d. 1832), and Geoffroy St. Hilaire
The project of laying out the Jardin des Plantes was first
formed in 1626, and steps for putting it into execution were
taken by Guy de Labrosse about 1635. In 1732 the celebrated
Buffon became director of the gardens, and was the originator
of all the collections of the present day. He died here in July
1788, whilst in the zenith of his reputation.
His successor was Bernardin de St. Pierre, under whose aus¬
pices (1794) the animals preserved in the menageries of Versailles
and Raincy were transferred to the 'Jardin du Roi', as this
garden was then termed.
Under Napoleon I., a great promoter of the cultivation of
natural science, the collections were considerably enlarged.
In 1805 Humboldt presented a collection of 4500 tropical
plants, brought by him from America. 3000 of which belonged