22. JARDIN DES PLANTES.
Sainte Genevieve fondle par les Genovefains en 1624, devenue
propriete nationale en 1790, transferee de I'ancienne abbaye dans
cet edifice en 1850. The wall of the staircase is adorned with a
copy (by Blaze) of the School of Athens in the Vatican by Ra¬
phael, and medallions in fresco emblematic of Poetry, Theology,
Philosophy, and Justice. The upper *Library Hall, the finest
saloon of this description in Paris, in which iron is admirably
adapted to architectural purposes, is upwards of 300 ft. in length,
60 ft. in breadth, and 40 ft. in height. The double arched roof
is supported by a series of graceful iron columns resting on stone
basements, between which and along the walls the bookcases are
arranged. Long rows of tables, capable of accommodating 420 per¬
sons, are placed here for the convenience of readers. The library
is open to the public from 10 till 3 o'clock, for students from
6 to 10 p. m.
The collection of books, which are judiciously arranged in
the upper, as well as in the lower apartments, was originated
by Cardinal La Rochefoucauld in 1624, and now consists of up¬
wards of 200,000 printed books and 7000 MSS. Among the former
are a considerable number of 'incunabulae', or specimens of the
earliest period of printing, when the art was still in its infancy
('in cunabulis'), and a valuable series of periodicals from the
17th cent, to the period of the empire. — Vacation from Sept.
1st to Oct. 15th.
St. Etienne du Mont, the handsome, late-Gothic church in the
vicinity, with a portico in the Renaissance style, see p. 175.
22. Jardin des Plantes.
The horticultural portion is open daily from daybreak to dusk,
the zoological (Menagerie) from 11 to 5 (Sundays till 6) o'clock
between March 1st and Oct. 31st, from 11 to 4 during the re¬
mainder of the year (sometimes , however, closed in winter and
in unfavourable weather).
When the weather is such as to render it necessary that the
animals should be kept under cover, the visitor requires a card
of admission in order to obtain access to the interior of the
buildings (1—4 o'clock). This card is obtained gratis at the
office of the Administration, opposite the Fontaine Cuvier (p. 156),
not far from the entrance to the gardens, by showing a passport
or visiting-card. The animaux feroces are fed at 2 or 3 o'clock,
according to the season, to see which tickets must be obtained
in the same way at the office of the Administration.
The Museum of Natural History (comprising zoological, bo¬
tanical, geological, mineralogical, and anatomical collections) is
open to the public on Tuesd. and Thursd. from 2 to 5, on Sund.
from 1 to 5, in winter till 4 o'clock; strangers are admitted on