removed by order of the Convention; Mirabeau was reinterred
in the cemetery of Pere Lachaise, whilst the remains of Marat
were ignominiously cast into the sewers of the Rue Mont¬
martre , near the Passage du Saumon of the present day.
About the same period monuments were here erected to
Voltaire and Rousseau; the former, 'aux manes de Voltaire',
bears the inscription : 'Po'ete, historien, philosophe, il agrandit
Vesprit humain et hii apprit, qu'il devait lire libre. II defendit
Calas, Sirven, de la Barre et Montbailly; combattit les athees et
les fanatiques; il inspira la tolerance; il reclama les droits de
Vhomme contre la servitude de la feodalite. The sarcophagus of
Rousseau bears the inscription : 'Ici repose Vhomme de la nature
et de la verite ; issuing from it is represented a hand with a
burning torch, a somewhat inappropriate emblem of the 'light1
which the great philosopher diffused around him. Both these
tombs are, however, empty, the remains of the two philosophers
having been secretly removed after the Restoration, and interred
in some unknown spot.
Opposite to the tomb of Voltaire is that of Soufflot (A. 1781),
the architect of the Pantheon.
Napoleon I. also caused several of the most eminent men of
his time to be interred here; among others may be mentioned
Lagrange, the mathematician, Bougainville, the circumnavigator,
Marshal Lannes, and a number of senators.
In the centre of these vaults a remarkably loud echo may be
awakened by the faintest sound. — A model of the edifice in
plaster of Paris is also shown.
The Pantheon was one of the head-quarters of the insurgents
in June, 1848, and was obstinately defended during two days
against the attacks of the troops and the National Guard. The
barricades in the vicinity were, however, soon demolished by the
cannonade, and the insurgents compelled to yield.
Opposite to the portico is situated the Mairie du 5e Arron¬
dissement , erected in 1849, and on the other side the Ecole de
Droit, the seat of the legal faculty of the university (p. 150),
the latter erected by Soufflot, the architect of the Pantheon. The
lectures are public. Vacation in September' and October.
On the N. side is situated the spacious edifice, erected by
Labrouste and completed in 1850, which contains the Library
of Ste. Genevieve. On the walls are inscribed a long series of
names of eminent literary men of all nations. In the medallions
the monogram S. G. (Ste. Genevieve) frequently recurs.
The vestibule is adorned with busts of St. Bernard, Montaigne,
Pascal, Moliere, Lafontaine, Bossuet, Massillon, Voltaire, Buffon,
Laplace, Cuvier, Mirabeau , Rousseau, Montesquieu , Fe'nelon,
Racine, Corneille, Poussin, Descartes, L'Hopital.
The inscription over the staircase is as follows: Bibliotheque