not unfrequently even opposed the authority of the Pope, as, for
example, when it rejected the 'Unigenitus' bull. Subsequently
it became the opponent of the Jesuits, as well as of the school
of philosophy of the 18th cent., whose sarcasms were usually
levelled at the Sorbonne.
The medical and legal faculties possess buildings of their
own. The ieole de Medecine is in the street of the same name,
near the Hotel de Cluny, and the tkoU de Droit, Place du
Library of Ste. Genevieve.
The Church of Sainte Genevieve, or * Pantheon, as it is more
usually termed, which occupies the most elevated situation in
Paris, stands on the site of an ancient church erected in honour
of Ste. Genevieve, who was interred here in 511. The present
«diflce was designed by Soufflot, and the foundation-stone laid
by Louis XV. in 1764.
The new structure was also dedicated to Ste. Genevieve, the
protectress of the city of Paris. The Convention, however, in
1791 determined that it should be converted into a species of
temple, and gave it the name of 'Pantheon', dedicated 'Aux
grands hommes la patrie reconnaissante', as the inscription on
,the frieze still records. The inscription was erased in 1822,
but was renewed in 1830 after the July revolution, and still
retains its place, notwithstanding the decree of Dec. 6th, 1851,
by which the edifice has been restored to its sacred use under
its original appellation of 'figlise Ste. Genevieve'. For upwards
of 60 years the 'Pantheon' has been a source of discord between
«hurch and state, and has experienced vicissitudes from which,
however, it appears now to enjoy a respite.
Although cruciform in shape, this magnificent structure harcuy
possesses an ecclesiastical character. The form is nearly that of
a Greek cross, 373 ft. in length and 277 ft. in breadth, sur¬
mounted by a majestic dome (281 ft. in height), terminating in
a lantern, and surrounded by a gallery and balustrade. The por¬
tico, which is approached by a flight of 11 steps, occupying
the entire breadth of the edifice, is supported by a triple row of
handsome Corinthian columns, 64 ft. in height.
The Pediment above the portico, 135 ft. in length and 23 ft.
in height, contains a fine * group in high relief by David d'An¬
gers. The principal figure, 16 ft. in height, represents France
in the act of distributing garlands to her sons; to the L, under
the protection of Liberty, several illustrious civilians are repre¬
sented: Malesherbes, Mirabeau, Monge, and FeneTon; then Ma¬
nuel, Carnot, the celebrated general of engineers, and leader
of the wars of the first revolution, Berthollet, the chemist, and