150 20. MUSEE DES THERMES.
crozier, richly gilded, and decorated with jewels and eight
miniature reliquaries, of which that in the centre contains a
fragment of the 'True Cross'. In the glass-case on the 1.: 3123.
Golden Rose of Bale, presented by Clement V. to the Arch¬
bishop of Bale. By the wall: *3122. Altar-piece 3 ft. in height,
and 5 ft. in width, in embossed gold, presented by Emp. Henry II.
(d. 1024) to the cathedral of Bale, and purchased along with the
'Rose' from the canton Bale-Campagne in 1830. Then by one
of the windows: 3138. Vessel with Charles V., surrounded by
the dignitaries of his court, musicians and sailors, in gilded
bronze, the emperor of pure gold; the whole is moveable,
mechanism of the 16th cent.; 3668. and 3669. Russian figures
of saints, brought as trophies from Bomarsund in 1854.
In the middle of the entrance - wall: 3674. Jaw-bone of
The last room contains specimens of French porcelain.
From the 1st Room the visitor proceeds to the 1. to the Chambte
de la Reine Blanche (p. 148), containing a variety of musical
instruments; then to the sumptuous *Palace Chapel, which during
the revolution served as an assembly-hall, subsequently as a
dissecting-room, and finally as a printing-office.
The egress leads through the back-court to the lofty, vaulted
hall, which constitutes the only perfect remnant of the Roman
Baths (Thermes). The columns are in different places adorned
with the figure of the prow of a vessel, which formed a promi¬
nent portion of the arms of the ancient Lutetia Parisiorum, and
is still conspicuous in the arms of modern Paris. The fact that
this one hall, which was the Frigidarium, or apartment for cold
baths, is 64 ft. in length, 38 ft. in breadth, and 59 ft. in height,
may serve to convey some idea of the vast extent of the ancient
Roman palace. These baths and the curiosities they contain,, the
sole relics of the Roman period in Paris, are of little interest to
the non-professional visitor; 1. 2692. Statue of Julian, who was
proclaimed Emperor here.
The Garden contains a number of interesting mediaeval
architectural fragments, many of them rescued from edifices de¬
molished in the course of the metropolitan improvements.
No. 3732. Cross from the Church of St. Vladimir at Sebastopol,
presented by Marshal PeTissier (Duke of Malakoff).
Ascending the street towards the S. the stranger will soon
arrive at the Sorbonne, or buildings of the university of Paris,
erected about the middle of the 17th cent. The three faculties
of theology (Rom. Cath.), science, and literature have their seat
here. The lectures are open to the public.
The Sorbonne, originally a theological college only, was
founded in 1250 by Robert de Sorbon, the confessor of Louis XI.,
and during the middle ages enjoyed the highest reputation. It