19. PALAIS DU LUXEMBOURG. 145
Then beginning to the 1. of the entrance:
*216. Horace Vernet (A. 1863), Marshal Moncey defending the
Barriere de Clichy at Paris against the Russians (March 30th,
64. Eugene Delacroix (A. 1863), Jewish wedding in Morocco.
180. Robert-Fleury, Conference at Poissy (p. 334), summoned
by Catherine de Medicis and Charles IX. in 1561, with a view
to adjust the differences between the Roman Catholics and Pro¬
testants ; Theod. Beza, the Genevese Reformer, is represented as
the spokesman of the latter. 1840.
*166. Muller, Reading of the names of the last victims of the
Reign of Terror, before the fall of Robespierre (July 27th, 1794),
in the prison of the Luxembourg; the figures are all portraits;
among them are the Princesse de Chimay, and Montalembert. 1850.
*22. Rosa Bonheur, Oxen ploughing. 1849.
84. Francais, Orpheus.
23. Rosa Bonheur, Hay harvest.
119. Ingres (A. 1867), Christ giving Peter the keys of heaven.
120. Ingres, Ruggiero releases Angelica (from Ariosto). 1819.
122. Ingres, Apotheosis of Homer (sketch of ceiling-painting
in the Muse'e Charles X. in the Louvre; see p. 75).
Before inspecting the opposite side of the gallery, the visitor
had better visit the
In the centre : Millet, The forsaken Ariadne, a statue in marble,
1857. On the r.: Duret, Improvisatore, 1838. On the 1. : Duret,
Fisher-boy dancing the Tarantella, 1833.
On the wall opposite the entrance, to the r.:
*15. Benouville (A. 1859), The dying St. Francis blessing
the town of Assisi. 1853.
144. Lefebvre, Nymph and Bacchus. 1866.
*29. Breton, Gleaners. 1859.
To the 1. of the entrance:
202. Schnetz, Inundation in the Roman Campagna. 1831.
*30. Breton, Harvest.
We now return to the
Great Gallery. Left Side:
47. Court (A. 1865), Antony addressing the people after the
murder of Caesar. 1827.
*60. Delacroix, Dante and Virgil, conducted by Phlegyas, cross¬
ing the Styx; among the guilty shades that endeavour to enter
the boat Dante recognises Florentines. 1822.
124. Ingres, Birth of Venus; 125. The Fountain. Both small
reproductions of the larger works by the same master.
78. Flandrin, Portrait of a lady.
B.sdekek. Paris. 3rd Edition. 10