permission from the director. No other visitors are admitted
except professional men.
From 1606 to 1685 the principal seat of the French Protes¬
tants was at Charenton, where they possessed one of their largest
churches and several public institutions; but the settlement was
dispersed in consequence of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
The church was pulled down, and the stones employed in the
construction of a hospital in Paris.
Charenton is a station on the Railway to Fontainebleau; station
at Paris in the Boulevart Mazas (comp. pp. 28, 210).