there condemned by a court-martial. The accusation was that
he was privy to the plot formed by Pichegru, Cadoudal, and others
against the emperor. The sentence was executed March 20th, and
the body of the ill-fated prince interred in the fosse where he
was shot. In 1816 Louis XVIII. caused the duke's remains to
be disinterred and removed to the chapel, where he erected a
monument to his memory. In May, 1871, the chateau was one
of the last places occupied by the insurgents, but they were com¬
pelled to evacuate it on the approach of the Versailles troops,
leaving one of their number concealed in a casemate with in¬
structions to set fire to the powder-magazine when the troops
had entered. This unfortunate wretch, whom almost certain death
awaited in any case, preferred suicide to the execution of his
murderous commission. On this occasion (May 29th) 400 insur¬
gents, unable to effect their retreat, surrendered 'a discretion'.
The Chapel, with its tasteful Gothic front, was commenced in
1248 and completed in 1552. It was employed during the revo¬
lution as a magazine, but was restored to its sacred use in 1842.
The interior, which is destitute of aisles, is remarkable for the
elegance of its proportions, and for several fine stained glass
windows, one of which contains a portrait of Diane de Poitiers,
the mistress of Henry II. The monument of the Due d'Enghien,
in the old sacristy, by Deseine, consists of four figures in marble,
the duke supported by Religion, France bewailing his loss, and
a figure emblematic of Vengeance.
Prior to the recent war, the Salle d'Armes, or armoury, is
said to have contained a store of weapons sufficient for the
equipment of 120,000 men.
The platform of the Donjon, a massive square tower with four
smaller towers at its angles, commands a fine prospect. The
walls of this structure are 17 ft. in thickness, and its five lofty
stories, each consisting of one spacious apartment with four
smaller rooms in the corner towers, were formerly employed for
the reception of the state-prisoners.
The Bois de Vincennes, an ancient forest, and, as early as the
time of St. Louis (d. 1270), a favourite hunting ground of the French
monarchs, was in 1731 entirely replanted by order of Louis XV.
In more modern times considerable encroachments on it have been
made by railway and military works, and it has recently been
laid out as a park in the same style as the Bois de Boulogne.
The road from Paris to the wood passes by the chateau. At
the extremity of the new line of forts the road to the r. leading
to Joinville-le-Pont must be taken, from which, a short distance
farther on, the road to Nogent diverges. Both of these roads lead
to the artificial Lac des Minimes (l1^ M. from the castle), with
its three islands, on the smallest of which, the lie de la Porte-
Jaune. connected with the mainland by a bridge, a restaurant