ficial stalactite grotto is intended to enhance the attractions of
the scene. The highest rock is surmounted by a miniature Co¬
rinthian temple which (as well as the other hills) commands an
admirable *view of St. Denis, Pere Lachaise, Montmartre, and
an ocean of houses. A steep path hewn in the rock (not always
accessible) descends from the top direct to the lake. Lower down
a wire bridge crosses from this rock to one of the others, and
all the different points of interest are thus rendered conveniently
accessible to visitors. The park with its mimic romantic scenery
presents a curious contrast to the densely peopled city which the
visitor surveys from it, and is unquestionably one of the most
remarkable results of the untiring zeal for improvement which
characterised the reign of Napoleon III.
On May 26th, 1871, Les Buttes Chaumont and Pere Lachaise
were the only two positions still occupied by the insurgents.
Those in possession of the park threw great numbers of shells
filled with petroleum into different parts of the city, with a view
to aggravate the ruin and destruction they had already occasioned,
while they in their turn were exposed to an incessant cannonade
from Montmartre. On the 27th they were compelled to succumb.
They then retreated to the lower part of Belleville, where they
were received by the advancing troops and shot down almost to
On the N. side of Les Buttes Chaumont is situated the quarter
of La Villette, where prior to the war of 1870—71 a German
colony of 450 families of a humble class was established. These
poor but industrious people were driven from their homes by the
war, but many of them have since returned and resumed their
peaceful avocations. A German church and two German schools
were founded here in 1858.
Cemetery of Montmartre.
The Rue Laffitte, which is terminated by Notre Dame de
Lorette, and its continuation the Rue des Martyrs lead in a direct
line from the Boulevart des Italiens to the suburb of Montmartre.
Pursuing the same direction for about 20 min. more, the stranger
will reach the summit of
Montmartre, 320 ft. above the Seine, a hill containing ex¬
tensive limestone and gypsum or plaster of Paris quarries, and
commanding a view of the N. of Paris. According to tradition
St. Denis and his companions suffered martyrdom here, whence
probably the appellation of the hill, Mons Martyrum. Others
conjecture that the name is derived from Mons Martis, from a
temple of Mars which is supposed to have stood here.
In 1147 Louis VI. founded a Benedictine Abbey here, which