134 16. LES BUTTES CHAUMONT.
Parmentier, chemist 29 (129).
"Perier, minister 16 (127).
"Perignon, Marshal 24 (130).
Plaisance(Piacenza), Duke of 6 (127).
Pozzo di Borgo, Russian diplomatist
Pradier, sculptor 24 (131).
Rachel, actress, Jewish Cemetery
Racine, family 27 (131).
Raguse, Duchesse de 32 (129).
Raspail, chemist 15 (127).
"Robertson, prof, of physics 4 (127).
Roederer, minister 2 (132).
Rogniat, General 22 (129).
Rossini, composer 2 (132).
Rovigo, Due de 32 (128).
Souvestre, Emile 20 (129).
"Schickler, banker 31 (129).
Scribe, dramatist 32 (129).
Serrurier, Marshal 19 (131).
Sidney Smith, Admiral Sir 34 (129).
Sieyes, abbe, member of Convention
-Suchet, Marshal 28 (129).
Talma, actor 7 (132).
Thiers, family of 19 (128).
"Valence, General 24 (130).
Vallesteros, Spanish general 29 (130).
Vicenza, Due de, see Caulaincourt.
Victor, Marshal 18 (127).
Visconti, architect of the New
Louvre 2 (132).
Volney, philosopher 32 (129).
The private Cimetiere Picpus, Rue de Picpus 15, Faubourg
St. Antoine (adm. !/2 fr.), is the last resting-place of several
illustrious victims of the revolution of 1793, and of members of
the old French noblesse.
16. Les Buttes Chaumont.
*Les Buttes Chaumont is a new park, the last great work of
M. Haussmann, the former enterprising Prefect of the Seine,
situated in the suburb Belleville, on the N.E. side of Paris.
(The omnibuses which convey visitors to the vicinity of the park,
either directly or by 'correspondance', are those of the line AC,
Champs Elysees to La Villette, which is situated a little to the
N. of the park; or of the line N, Place des Victoires to Belle¬
ville, situated S. of the park. The stations Belleville-Villette,
and to the S. of it Me'nilmontant on the Chemin de Fer de Cein¬
ture, are also in the vicinity of the Buttes Chaumont. The
morning is the most favourable time for the views. The park
of course contains several restaurants.)
The Buttes Chaumont extend in the form of a crescent over
an area of 22 hectares (55 acres). This was formerly the Parisian
place of execution and a notorious resort of criminals, and until
recently the place where all the rubbish of Paris was deposited.
About the year 1860 the latter began to be removed in conse¬
quence of sanitary considerations, and it was resolved to convert
this ill-favoured locality into a park for the benefit of the artizans
of the neighbouring quarter. The peculiar nature of the ground
afforded an opportunity of laying it out in a novel and picturesque
manner, and the task was skilfully executed by the engineer
M. Alphand, and M. Barillet, Jardinier en chef de Paris. The
quarries formerly worked here have been transformed into a rocky
wilderness surrounded by a small lake, while the adjacent rugged
surface is now covered with gardens and promenades shaded by
trees. A cascade falling from a considerable height into an arti-