widely known for its important race-meetings,which are held in May
and October. It contains large establishments for the breeding of
race-horses, in connection with which a considerable English colony
has settled in the town. The silk lace to which the name of Chan¬
tilly is given is now made chiefly in the department of Calvados.
Quitting the station, we cross the Paris and Amiens road, which
leads to the left to the Grande Rue. As the town, however, con¬
tains nothing noteworthy, we may proceed at once to the (li/4 M.)
Chateau, by the Route du Bois-Bourillon, leading through the forest.
The Pelouse, or race-course, to the S. of the town, which we reach
in Y4 hr., is about 125 acres in area, and presents a busy scene in
the morning when the horses are being exercised. To the right we
see the Grand Stands, to the left, farther on, the Stables of the Condis
(p. 394). We may strike across the race-course to the (3/4 M.) chateau,
but the Avenue de l'Aigle, which passes behind the Grand Stands,
is an easier route (comp. the Map).
A broad moat containing some ancient carp separates the race¬
course from the castle-grounds, which we enter through a hand¬
some iron gate. The extensive building rising on the right is the
Chdteau d'Enghien, built in 1770 to accommodate the numerous
guests of the Conde"s. Opposite is the equestrian statue of Anne de
Montmorency (p. 393). The chateau proper rises on the left.
The **Chateau de Chantilly consists of two main divisions: the
Ch&telet or Capitainerie, built about 1560, probably by Jean Bullant,
for the Constable Anne de Montmorency, and the Grand Chateau,
built in 1876-82 in place of the smaller chateau destroyed during
the Revolution. The present remarkable structure was designed by
Daumet for [the Duke Henri d'Aumale (1822-97), the fourth son of
Louis Philippe, and heir to the last of the Condes. Under its roof
the duke gathered the art-treasures and heirlooms of his family and
the valuable collections of paintings, sculpture, furniture, and an¬
tiquities which he had amassed during fifty yeaTS, bequeathing at his
death the building and its contents to the Institut de France. The
Musie Condi, as it is now called, is one of the most important objects
of interest in the environs of Paris. — Curator, M. F. A. Gruyer.
The history of the mediseval castle of Chantilly dates back to the
9th century. In 1495 it came by inheritance to the Montmorency family (see
above), and the Constable Anne de Montmorency (1493-1567), who shared
the campaigns and the artistic tastes of Francis I., employed Pierre Cham-
biges (p. xl) to erect a chateau in its place, to which the Chatelet (see
above) was afterwards added. Duke Henri of Montmorency, Anne's grand¬
son, was executed in 1632 for his connection with the rebellious duke of
Orleans, and his possessions passed to his brother-in-law, Prince Henri II.
of Bourbon Conde. Under Louis II. of Condi (1621-86), known as the 'Grand
Condi' for his warlike exploits in Alsace, the Netherlands, and S. Germany,
Chantilly became the scene of magnificent fetes, which were suspended
by the banishment of Cond^ in 1654 for his complicity in the wars of the
Fronde, only to be renewed with fresh splendour after his return in 1660.
Mme. de Sevigne' describes (in her 95th letter) the gorgeous reception given
here to Louis XIV. in 1671, and relates the suicide of Vatel, the prince's
maitrt d'h6tel, b ecause the fish failed to arrive in time for the royal banquet.