386 27. BEAUMONT-SUR-OISE.
this castle. — The railway-station is at Parmain, on the right bank,
connected with the town by a bridge spanning the islets, on one of
which is a private chateau containing some old pictures.
Following the left bank, we pass near a fountain decorated with
a bust of the landscape-painter Jules Dupte (1812-89), by Marqueste,
and reach the Chubch, a Renaissance edifice of the 16-17th cent.,
restored in the 19th century. The pulpit was executed by a German
artist in 1560. The choir-stalls date from the same period, while
the altar-piece in carved wood (in a chapel to the left), represent¬
ing the Passion, is of the 15th century. — The fine avenue to the
left, beyond the church, ascends to the forest, which affords pleas¬
The valley now expands and ceases to be picturesque. — 21 M.
Jouy-le-Comte. — The church of (25 M.) Champagne, on the left,
has a fine spire of the 13th century.
25 M. Beaumont-sur-Oise. — Hot. des Quatre-Fils-Aymon, oppo¬
site the bridge; Hot. du Grand-Cerf; Hot. du Paon. — Cafidu Commerce;
Cafi de l'HStel-de-Ville.
Beaumont, a small town with 3848 inhab., lies l/% M. from the
railway, on a height on the left bank of the Oise. In the 10th and
11th cents, it had for territorial lords the Counts of Beaumont, but
it was ceded to St. Louis and afterwards became an appanage of the
Conde's. The Parish Church, reached by a flight of steps, is an inter¬
esting building of the 13th cent., with double aisles surmounted by
galleries. The lateral tower was finished in the Renaissance style.
Passing the church-tower, following the streets to the right,
and turning again to the Tight at the Hotel de Ville, we reach the
Place du Chateau or Promenade, adjoining which is part of the old
wall of the chateau, with round towers at the corners. The Promen¬
ade affords an extensive view of the valley of the Oise.
From Beaumont to Creil (p. 423), 1972 M., in 72 hr., via Bruyires, Boran,
Pricy, and St. Leu-d'Esserent.
28. From Paris to Chantilly.
Visitors to Paris should on no account omit an excursion to Chantilly
(on Thurs., Sat., or Sun., see p. 387), where they may wander through the
chateau at their leisure, untroubled by any official conductor, an advantage
they do not enjoy a Fontainebleau (p. 410).
Chemin de Fer bu Nord (station, Pl.B,24; see p. 29), 2572M., in 40-75
min. (fares 4 fr. 60, 3 fr. 10 c., 2 fr.; return - tickets 6 fr. 90, 4 fr. 95,
3 fr. 25 c). Excursion return-tickets are issued (ticket-office No. 21) on
the days when the chateau is open, for 6 fr. 15, 4 fr. 30, 2 fr. 80 e.; but
they are availabl for certain trains only.
From Paris to (4(/2 M.) St. Denis, see p. 370. Branch-line to
Enghion (Montmorency, St. Leu, etc.), see p. 377. Beyond the canal
of St. Denis (p. 236) rise the fort of the Double Couronne du Nord and
the Fort de la Briche, on the right and left. — 7 M. Pierrefitte-Stains.
9i/2 M. Villiers-le-Bel-Gonesse. Villiers-le-Bel (pop. 1723), 2 M.