27. From Paris to Beaumont-sur-Oise.
A. Via. Montsoult.
23 M. Railway in */4-llh hr. (fares 4 fr. 35,2 fr. 95,1 fr. 90c). — Departure
from the Gare du Nord.
This is part of the direct line from Paris to Beauvais and Amiens.
— 6 M. Epinay, junction for the Pontoise and St. Denis line (p. 377). —•
71/2 M. Deuil-Montmagny, two localities, the former (pop. 3410) on
the left, at the foot of the hill of Montmorency, with a Romanesque
church of the 12-15th cent, and relics of St. Eugene, the latter (pop.
1349) on the right, below the Butte Pincon with its fort. — 9 M.
Groslay. BetweenDeuil and Groslay lies the Lac Marchais. — 9*/2M.
Sarcelles-St-Brice. The two villages (2348 and 1214 inhab. respect¬
ively) are about 2/3 M. apart (omn. 15 c, Sun. 25 c.) and both contain
old churches. The train ascends the dale of the Rosne.
12 M. Ecouen-Ezanville. Ecouen (pop. 1648), to the left, pos¬
sesses a handsome Chateau of the 16th cent., built by Jean Bullant
for the Constable Anne de Montmorency (p. 388). It is now one of
the schools for daughters of members of the Legion of Honour (comp.
p. 376). Visitors are admitted on Thurs. and Sun. at 2 p.m. with
a card obtainable at the chancellery, Rue Solfe'rino 1, Paris. The
Church boasts a 13th cent, choir and some fine stained glass. —
Le Mesnil-Aubry, 2y2 M. to the N., has a Renaissance church.
7!/2 M. Domont (pop. 1645), on the N. slope of the forest of
Montmorency (p. 379), is crowned by a fort. The church possesses
a 12th cent. apse. — 14 M. Bouffemont. ■— 1572 M. Montsoult-
Maffliers. Montsoult, ^2 M. to the W., on the edge of the forest of
L'Isle-Adam, contains an attractive chateau and a church of the 16th
century. The church at Maffliers, on the N.W., has a 16th cent, choir.
From Montsoult to Luzarches , 7 M., railway in 25 min. (fares
lfr. 35, 90, 60 c). — 272 M. Belloy-St-Martin. Belloy, to the right,
contains an interesting church dating from the 16th,century. St. Martin-du-
Tertre, to the left, is picturesquely situated on an eminence on the S.E.
border of the forest of Carnelle (see below). To the left is the Ch&teau de
Franconville, mentioned below. —■ The train now enters a cutting, beyond
which we have a fine view to the left of the valley of the Oise. — About
I72 M. to the N. of (472 M.) Viarmes is the old Abbey of Royaumont, dating
from the 13th cent., now a nunnery, and not open to visitors. — 7 M.
Luzarches (Hdtel St. Damien), a small and very old town (1377 inhab.)
with the church of St. Damien (12-16th cent.). About I74 M. to the N.E.
is the forest of Coye which extends to the forest of Chantilly (p. 394). The
road passing the station leads through the town and then ascends to the
S. through a wood, immediately beyond which is the (I74 M.) Chdteau of
Champldtreux, built in the 17th and 18th centuries.
20 M. Presles (pop. 1238; H6t. Paillard). To the right is seen
the magnificent Chateau of Franconville-sous-Bois, Tebuilt in 1877
by the Due de Massa, with a fine park containing statuary. The nearest
station to it is (1 M.) Belloy, on the Luzarches line. — 22V2 M.
Nointel, with a handsome chateau and park. — To the left is the Forest
of Carnelle, with many attractive walks. — The train crosses the Oise.
23 M. Beaumont-sur- Oise, see p. 386.