parte and so brother-in-law of Napoleon I. The church is a Gothic
edifice of the 12th cent., reconstructed in the 15-16th centuries.
The Romanesque influence is still apparent in the choir and transept.
The tower terminates in a lantern in the Renaissance style. The
beautiful Flamboyant rose-window in the W. facade should be noticed.
The Chapelle de la Passion, to the left on entering, contains a Holy
Sepulchre, in the style of the Renaissance, with eight statues and
groups of the Resurrection and the Holy Women. The Stained Glass
Windows date from 1545, with the exception of those adjoining
the tomb, which were executed in 1864 by Didron. Opposite the
pulpit is a Descent from the Cross, by Jouvenet, and the choir contains
some Tather heavy wood-carvings of the Renaissance.
In the Rue Lemercier, not far from the Hotel de Ville, which
is on the side next the valley of the Oise, is a Musie, established in
a small 15th cent, mansion, containing antiquities, fayence, and works
by Savine, Rude, Ge'rard, L. Robert, P. Delaroche, etc.
The road to the left, at the end of the square, leads to the
Promenade, at the end of which is a mound commanding a fine
view. — The Church of Notre-Dame, in the lower part of the town,
dating from the 16th cent., contains the tomb of St. Gautier (Wal¬
ter), founder of the Abbey of St. Martin de Pontoise (11th cent.),
a curious monument of 1146, with a statue of the saint. — The Fair
of St. Martin is held at Pontoise, Nov. ll-13th. Above the station is
a Stone Bridge, commanding a good view of the town and connecting
it with St-Ouen-1'Aumone (see below). Between the two bridges
is a large Hospital, the chapel of which has a good picture, by Phil.
de Champaigne, of the healing of the lame man.
From Pontoise to Dieppe, via, Gisors, comp. p. 432 and see Baedeker's
From Pontoise to Beaumont.
1272 M. Railway in 30-35 min. (fares 2 fr. 25, 1 fr. 50 c, 1 fr.).
The train crosses the Oise and enters C/2M.) St-Ouen-V Aumdne.
This station is farther from the town than those mentioned above and
at p. 382. Farther on, to the right, is the Chateau de Maubuisson,
on the site of the Cistercian abbey of that name, founded by Blanche
de Castille in the 13th century. It includes a huge barn and a tower
of the 13th or 14th cent, (at one corner of the park). — IV4 M.
Epluches. We again cross the Oise. — 2!/2 M. Chaponval. — 4i/2 M.
Auvers (Hot. Lebrun), a prettily-situated village (pop. 2402) with
an interesting church of the 12-13th cent, (interior restored). It
is much frequented by artists, especially Americans, and there is
good fishing in the Oise. About 1 M. to the right, on the other bank
of the river, lies Miry (p. 385), on the line to Valmondois. — 6 M.
Valmondois (see p. 385).
From Valmondois to Beaumont, see p. 386.