and church to the Chateau de Maisons (visitors admitted; ring at
the side-door), which was erected by Fr. Mansart in the 17th cent.
for Rene de Longueil, Surintendant des Finances. Voltaire is said
to have first read his 'Henriade' here. The Comte d'Artois bought it
in 1777, and Napoleon I. presented it to Marshal Lannes. In 1818
the estate was acquired by M. Laffitte, the banker, who parcelled
it out in building-lots, and it is now studded with the villas of
The Race Course, one of the most important near Paris (about 174 M.
in length), skirts the bank of the Seine. It is reached from the chateau in
74 hr. by following the avenue passing in front of the iron railing, and then
bearing to the right. Visitors approaching from Paris (by tramway) turn
to the right immediately beyond the bridge. Opposite the race-course lies
Sartrouville, prettily situated 72 M. to the right of the railway station (see
p. 381). — In the vicinity is a Golf Course (see p. 43).
Special trains are run from Paris on race days (fares 4, 3, or 2 fr.).
We next pass through the lower part of the forest of St. Ger¬
main. —- At (13Y2 M.) AcKkres (buffet) our line diverges to the
right from those of the Grande Ceinture and Rouen, both of which
pass (3 M;) Poissy (p. 432). Farther on is a station for the Village
of Acheres, beyond which we again cross the Seine, near its con¬
fluence with the Oise. To the left is the hill of the Hautil or Hautie
(555 ft.; fine view).
16 M. Conflans-Fin-d'Oise, about Va^. from the village (p. 381).
Near the station the Oise is crossed by a suspension-bridge (toll 5 c).
To reach (l'/2 M.) Andrisy, we cross the bridge and turn to the left.
Our line again follows for a short distance the left bank of the
Oise, passing under the lofty viaduct of the line to Mantes. The
river a little farther on makes a detour of 6 M. — 19 M. Eragny-
Neuville, where we join the line from Paris via Argenteuil and
Conflans (p. 381). Then St-Ouen-VAumdne (see p. 383). To the
right is the Nord line to Paris and Beaumont; to the left the line
to Pontoise, crossing the stream.
18 M. Pontoise. — Hotel de la Gare, Hotel de Pontoise, at the
station; Hot. du Grand-Cerf, near the bridge; SoLEiL-D'Or. — Cafis de la Gare
and de l'Hdtel-de- Ville. — Carriages to Cergy, Jou\-le-Moutier, Grisy, Genicourt,
Ge'ricourt, and Cormeilles-en-Vexin.
Pontoise is an ancient Gallic town with 8180 inhab., pictur¬
esquely situated on a height on the right bank of the Oise, at its
confluence with the Viosne. As the capital of the Vexin (Veliocasses),
it was frequently involved in the wars of the kings of France with the
kings of England and the dukes of Normandy, and also in the civil
struggles of later date. The only remains of its fortifications are the
walls of the ancient chateau, which protected the town on the side
next the river.
On leaving the station we see facing us, on an eminence, the
Church of St. Maelou, with a handsome flight of steps in front of it.
At the top of the steps is a marble statue, by Lemot, of General
Leclerc (1772-1802), a native of Pontoise, husband of Pauline Bona-