26. CONFLANS-STE-HONORINE. 381
the valley of the Seine. — lO1/^ M- Cormeilles-en-Parisis (omnibus
to Pontoise station, 1 fr.), a large village (pop. 2624) picturesquely
situated on the S.W. slopes of the hill of the same name. Near
the church (13th and 15th cents.; modern tower) is a bust of
Daguerre (1787-1851), the pioneer of photography, a native of
Cormeilles' (comp. p. 406). We traverse another deep cutting
and two viaducts. To the right are the curious Butte de la Tuile
(390 ft.) and Montigny (other station, see p. 380), prettily situated
at the end of the heights of Cormeilles, about 1 M. from Herblay.
The church of Montigny contains some good wood-carvings of the
time of Louis XV. — 12t/2 M. Herblay (pop. 1990), a village with
a conspicuous church (12th cent.), on the steep right bank of the
Seine, opposite the forest of St. Germain-en-Laye.
15Y2 M. Conflans - Saint e-Honorine (Cafi-Restaurant on the
Quai) is a large village (3212 inhab.) picturesquely situated on the
steep right bank of the Seine. On the height are an ancient tower,
the Church (12-16th cent.), containing the Chapelle Ste. Honorine
with a shrine and relics of the saint (9th cent.), and a chateau. The
festival of Ste. Honorine takes place on Feb. 27th. The confluence
of the Seine and Oise, from which the village takes its name, is about
t/2 M. lower down, near the station of Conflans-Fin-d'Oise (seep. 382).
The continuation of the line to Mantes (p. 432) here diverges to
the left, while our line turns to the N. — 171/% M. Eragny-Neuville,
on the left bank of the Oise. Here we join the following route.
C. Via Maisons-Laffitte and Acheres. — From Paris to
(3 M.) Asnieres, see p. 331. On the left is the line to Versailles, on
the right that to Argenteuil. — 5^2 M. La Garenne-Bezons, see p. 362.
Here the line to St. Germain-en-Laye (p. 366) diverges to the left.
To the right is the reformatory of Petit-Nanterre, and farther on are
Argenteuil aud the heights of Montmorency, Sannois, and Cormeilles.
We again cross the Seine. — 8 M. Houilles-Carrieres-St-Denis. The
former of these villages (3824 inhab.) lies near the railway, to the
right, the latter (1661 inhab.) about lt/2 M. to the left. The church
of Carrieres contains an interesting stone altar-piece (12th cent.).
To the left we see St. Germain with its terrace. — 10 M. Sartrou-
ville (p. 382). To the right is the chateau of Maisons. We again
cross the Seine.
10'/2 M. Maisons-Laffitte. — Hotel du Soleil-d'Or, at the end
of the Avenue Longueil. — Cafes-Restaurants: Pavillon-de-VHorloge, at the
end of that avenue; du Pare, behind the preceding, at the entrance to
the park. — Post <t Telegraph Office, Avenue Longueil. — Electric Tramway
to Paris (Porte Maillot), in the same avenue, near the station. — Omnibus
to St. Germain (p. 366), via Carrieres-sous-Bois.
Maisons-Laffitte, so called from the former owners of its chateau,
is a town with 6730 inhab., situated near the forest of St. Germain,
on the left bank of the Seine, mostly in a park. The broad Avenue
Longueil, beginning near the station, leads past the modern Mairie